Leopard Boot partition problem

sej111

2 posts in this topic

I installed 10.5 using the ToH installer. Although I’ve gone through the process of making the 10.5 partition active using fdisk from the install DVD:

In terminal

fdisk -e /dev/rdisk0 (0 correct for my install)

f 1 (there are two partitions on this drive, p1 is the system and p2 is for misc use.)

write

y

(says writing to MBR)

quit

I just can’t get Leopard to boot without the install DVD in the drive. When I open “startup disk” in preferences, it doesn’t see the Leopard MBR

When I installed, I erased the existing 10.4.8 system (which was booting properly) and the install went perfectly. Leopard works just fine. For the sake of ruling out the obvious, I tried setting p0 to active (it wouldn’t let me, which is what I thought), then set p2 to active, and I got a no MBR message when I rebooted. Now it’s again set p1 active, and I just get a flashing cursor on a black screen.

What am I doing wrong here.

Thanks in advance

• 3 months later...
I installed 10.5 using the ToH installer. Although I've gone through the process of making the 10.5 partition active using fdisk from the install DVD:

In terminal

fdisk -e /dev/rdisk0 (0 correct for my install)

f 1 (there are two partitions on this drive, p1 is the system and p2 is for misc use.)

write

y

(says writing to MBR)

quit

I just can't get Leopard to boot without the install DVD in the drive. When I open "startup disk" in preferences, it doesn't see the Leopard MBR

When I installed, I erased the existing 10.4.8 system (which was booting properly) and the install went perfectly. Leopard works just fine. For the sake of ruling out the obvious, I tried setting p0 to active (it wouldn't let me, which is what I thought), then set p2 to active, and I got a no MBR message when I rebooted. Now it's again set p1 active, and I just get a flashing cursor on a black screen.

What am I doing wrong here.

Thanks in advance

I'm having the same flashing cursor on a black screen (i'm able to boot with the dvd in the drive). It happened when I restored the partition using DiskUtility from a backup image (created through CarbonCopyCloner). When I restarted it couldn't boot without the install dvd. The active partition is the Leopard one, I put the "flag" through GPartedLiveCD.

In StartupDisk it doesn't show the Leopard System Folder.

Did you already solved the problem, in the meantime?

What do I have to do?

Thank you

Cosimo