My experience with Kalyway 10.5.1

wshtb

1 post in this topic

After a whole day of trail and error, I finally got Kalyway Leopard 10.5.1 fully working. Here is my experience. There is nothing new that hasn't been discovered by members of this great forum. However I'm putting them together in the hope that it will help those with similar hardware.

My setup:

CPU: E2160 over clocked to 2.4Ghz

RAM: 2 x 1GB DDR2-800 (stock frequency)

MB: Gigabyte P35-DS3L

HD: 750GB SATA

500GB IDE

DVD: Samsung SATA

VIDEO: MSI Fanless Nvidia GeForce 8500GT 250MB DDR2

Other OS: Linux

DVD Image: Kalyway 10.5.1

Drive Partition:

750GB: Primary 1: 650GB linux ext3

Primary 2: 2GB linux swap

Primary 3: 30GB FAT

500GB: Primary 1: 500GB linux ext3

Bios setup:

750GB Sata hard drive is connected to the first channel. The Sata DVD drive must be connected to the second channel, otherwise the booting processing hang at "still waiting for root".

During installation, the JMicron controller is disabled; booting process will hang at some point if it is enabled with the 500GB drive.

First hurdle:

The first hurdle is disk partition. Nobody mentions it but OSX Disk Utility will NOT create new partition in the 30GB free unallocated space at the end of my 750GB drive. The trick is to create a FAT partition using the freespace under Linux first. Only then can you re-format that partition to Mac OS file system from Disk Utility.

If you already have another OS installed, like me with Linux, you CAN NOT select GUID. MBR is the only choice. This means that you MUST also choose EFI-MBR from customization screen. I spend countless time trying to get GUID because all the talking about GUID being superior. The bottom line is that it is not available UNLESS you reformat the whole disk! The infamous "HFS+partition error" is caused by choosing EFI-GUID when the drive is partitioned using MBR.

Second hurdle:

DO NOT select any device driver other than EFI-MBR in the customization screen. I found this the hard way. Everything installs fine, but on next reboot I get a kernal panic. The Nvidia driver from Kalyway 10.5.1 disk is no good for MSI Fanless 8500GT 256MB. The safe way is to use the VGA driver first, then download the latest and greatest driver inside the working system.

Post installation:

Besides the above hurdles everything installs silky smooth. Once the new system is running, download the Video and Audio driver using Safari:

NVinstaller V.33 works great with 8500GT

AppleHDApatcher V.1.20 plus ALC888.txt works perfectly. Both MIC and SPDIF works. I don't have analog speaker so I can't say anything about analog output.

Dual boot:

The OSX installer overwrite MBR. To get Linux back, reboot with a Linux CD, re-install grub, and reboot. Once back in your old beloved Linux, add the following line to /boot/grub/grub.conf:

title=OSX

rootnoverify (hd0,2)

makeactive

chainloader +1

that's it, now you have dual boot.

Once the system is running fine, you can re-enable the JMicron controller. It will work fine.

Other attempts:

Before getting the SATA DVD drive, I also tried to install from IDE Dvd drive. The 500GB IDE hard drive is disconnected and replaced with a IDE DVD drive. Everything installs fine, but I ran into GUID/booting issues. I thought it was causes by the JMicron controller so I bought a SATA dvd. But now looking back, the booting problem is purely caused by my choice of EFI_GUID on a hard drive with MBR partition map.

After thought:

Now I have a Hackint0sh working pefectly fine. I absolutely love it. I'm about to shell out $130 for OSX license. However there is still one doubt in my mind: Will Steve Jobs tough up on cracking Hackint0sh in the near future? I'd like to be able to get software update and such for at least a year. Given their continous attempt to lock out iPhone, I'm worried that in a future update they put in much tougher anti-hacking measure.

Regardless of what Apple will do to us, I want to thank all the members of the forum and the osx86 community for their hardwork and selfless contribution! My appreciation goes especially to Kalyway for making such a great disk image!