Post install issues (weird)

donie

3 posts in this topic

Hi all

Looking for a couple of solutions to a few weird problems that I can't find a solution for on these forums.

Installed KALWAY from DVD but had problems getting DVD to boot. Used -vanilla and it eventually worked. Installed OS without much issue but am having some probs.

1) 9 out of 10 times it will not boot from Hard disk. It's totally unpredictable. However, it seems that if I wiggle the mouse just as initial Darwin bootloader gets to zero it seems to boot all the time. 5 out of 5 at this stage. Is there an issue with the USB stalling the boot? Normally, it gets to the gray apple logo and freezes, usb mouse and keyboard are dead (no lights) and there is no disk activity. Why would moving the mouse help here? Generating interrupts or something?

2) Sometimes the login screen does not appear and neither does the mouse. The leopard background comes up ok. Looks like it thinks I have two monitors and the login screen is on the other unattached screen. So I unplugged the monitor from the DVI on the 7800GTX and jsut plug it back in immediately to the same DVI and it works. Login screen appears. Weird...

Also wondering about software updates; what updates are safe to install and what are not?

Many thanks to the whole team for saving this machine from Vista. Has turned this PC into a potential workhorse if I can stabilise the booting.

Many thanks

Donie

I think I have solved the first issue in that I have plugged the monitor into the lower DVI socket on the video card and now the display appears correctly when it boots up.

The second issue about moving the mouse is bogus, it's just random as to when it decides to boot or not. Just get the apple logo and no spinning disk under it. Having better success this evening booting the box for some reason. But it has failed just now. Rebooted again and it came up as normal..

Any ideas why I might be getting this behavior?

Donie