A post-install EFI question

GaryW

5 posts in this topic

Hi Guys,

I just finished getting iAtkos 10.5.1 running on a D945GNTLKR board with a Pentium D 2.8GHz CPU, and so far everything works... video, sound, LAN, etc. It seems perfect, and runs fantastically.

During the iAtkos install, as per the instructions, I went in to Darwin Boot, followed the prompts and it seems as though the EFI was installed properly... ie, it didn't give me any errors. I did NOT use the vanilla kernel as my Pentium D apparently will not support it. The install went fine, but I couldn't boot without the DVD... so I went back in to terminal and flagged the partition as bootable (using some instructions online... fdisk -e /dev/blah blah blah).

Now, what I'm uncertain about is if (after all the frigging around and not using the vanilla kernel) my EFI is working properly. Is there any way to verify? And does EFI = Software Updates works?

As an experiment I used software update and installed the security updates... and my system is still running. Does that mean I can install all updates? When 10.5.2 is released, will I be able to install it? Is there any way to tell?

Thanks, guys. This computer is for my girlfriend, so I just want to make sure it's a susatinable machine and won't blow up on her after accidentally updating something.

NO!

By the sound of it you might be running Vanilla?

You need the Vanilla kernel to update online! you may be able to do an update, but will have to backup all your essential kexts and restore them BEFORE rebooting just like you did your original patch of your system

AND

Nobody knows what the new update is going to do! My suggestion, let somebody without a girlfriend try it first! :help:

SticMAN

Someone must know... does EFI without Vanilla still allow for updates? How can I verify that I can install updates before going ahead and destroying my system?

SticMan

Thanks for the reply.

But interesting about the EFI. I'm definitely not running vanilla - I had to turn it off in order to get it installed (although I just thought of something that might make it work).

Why do you suppose, then, that my security updates installed without any problem? I have rebooted many times since too.

So is it vanilla kernel that allows updates, or EFI?

any software update other than a point-release should update no problem on your system. Point releases install a new vanilla kernel, though, so if you do that you're hosed. You can try with Pacifist and just skip the extensions/kernel included and just install the other items.

The reason you have to boot with the DVD in the drive is that the boot loader doesn't get installed correctly if you format MBR. This is true of both Kalyway and iATKOS. No idea why.

What I did when I tried MBR was I got a disc from the Bay that was basically "Kalyway make Leopard bootable" - can't remember the exact name. I burned that, booted from it, formatted my disc using its included Disk Utility, installed the 4kb package, and then booted and installed Kalyway with the MBR option in the boot loader. iATKOS would also install that way. A little stupid, IMO, but it worked. But once I figured out the "boot camp i am...me's way" with GUID and Vista x64, I've just used that instead.