Kalyway 10.5.1 Install issues w/ Pentium M CPU/hardware

gerbick

8 posts in this topic

This will probably be one of the oddest setups so far - I've been watching/reading for the last week, trying to solve my problems; however I'm very stuck right now.

Shuttle XPC SD11G5 - Intel 915GM + ICH6M chipset

Intel Pentium M 740 - 1.73ghz - slot 479

Corsair 2gb DDR2-533 - paired set 1gb ea.

500gb Seagate SATA

Samsung SATA DVD-R DL

I've been able to start up the Kalyway DVD, partition my HD using the MBR method, selected the MBR + Vanilla Kernal, did not select the SSE2 (this was preceded by trying to use it and getting the boot.plist error), cleared out using fdisk my prior attempts, and even got to a point where it will now install and get all the way to the Apple boot screen - grey screen - with the circle loading animation... and that's it.

It won't boot into Leopard whatsoever.

I know that my setup is quite possibly a bit too unorthodox to fully troubleshoot, but I feel like after reading everything on this site ad nauseum; I have to be missing something very minor that might get me past this last issue.

Thanks in advance.

Thank you kindly for your response.

I had switched to a ps/2 mouse and keyboard with no other USB devices as well as only plugging in just one monitor via analog VGA and using the onboard Intel vid card... it still just "stops" at the grey screen.

Via the BIOS, I've turned off PCI-e, there are no other PCI cards - only mini-PCI for the wifi card and I've yet to place it on the motherboard - and once even turned off the USB2.0 controller. But still the same...

It's gotten close to booting, I just "know" it. Ok... I just "hope" it has :P

Again, thanks. I'm still still trying to find the magic BIOS combo that might get me past this.

this is what i know.....(i might be wrong)

The Pentium M 740 does not support sse3, only "Other technological features include support for MMX, SSE, SSE2, Intel's Enhanced SpeedStep technology and Execute Disable Bit"

So you HAVE to load SSE2 and because its NOT Core 2 Vanilla WONT work!!

Go from here and you should be fine!

SticMAN

• 1 month later...

I have the same problem as Gerbick.... i think i can install leopard on my laptop but i dont know how to do it..... and the reply of sticMAN leave me with hope but i didnt understand what he want to mean with:

"The Pentium M 740 does not support sse3, only "Other technological features include support for MMX, SSE, SSE2, Intel's Enhanced SpeedStep technology and Execute Disable Bit"

So you HAVE to load SSE2 and because its NOT Core 2 Vanilla WONT work!!

Go from here and you should be fine!

SticMAN"

My laptop is an ASUS A6VC with 1Gb of ram, the same Pentium M 740 as Gerbick and an nVidia 6200 with TurboCache.... right now my laptop is running tiger fine but i wanna install leopard....if you could help me i would be grateful..... :(:(

Sorry for my bad english.... i'm from portugal ;)

• 1 month later...