Hawking Wireless Problem...

Mold Prince

3 posts in this topic

So...I have the hawking hwug1a usb network adaptor, which worked fine with my previous leo install. Long story short, I borked that install and had to start over. Used Kalyway (mad props for such an easy install ;) )...and most everything is working. I installed the drivers, and the card is recognized, and gets on the network. Open Safari...and nothing. I went into Network Diag, and all I see is an ethernet or firewire connection, neither of which are present. I can create new connections, but cannot specify my usb connection anywhere (that I see). It seems that my network card is working great, completely oblivious to the rest of the computer. I'm hoping that this is like most of my mac problems, involving a simple solution that is maddening to find, yet plainly obvious when discovered.

Thanks.

edit: I think en1 is my usb card. Tried "sudo ifconfig en1 up"...and still nothing.

I had a similar problem. My work around:

Install RALINK usbwirelessutility...first link on this page: http://www.ralinktech.com/ralink/Home/Support/Macintosh.html.

I also had to manually set the IP address (etc) under "System Preferences" / "Network"

The last trick is that I have to unplug/plugin the usb adapter every time i reboot so that the ralink software can find it.

Thanks for the reply. So far, I've tried three different versions of the USBwirelessutility (one from driver disk, one from hawking's site, and now from ralink's). They all seem to work, they all seem to connect to my network, etc.

When I go into System Prefs/Network, I see two connections. Ethernet (en0?) and Firewire. Would it do any good to set those up manually, since neither of them are what I'm using to get online?

Ack. Any other suggestions?

bump.