Huge packet loss with DWA-552 (Atheros 5008)

dinomite

10 posts in this topic

I got a D-Link DWA-552 network card (Atheros 5008 chipset) last night, which seems to be supported without any patches and comes up as an Airport card. The problem is that I experience constant packet loss of about 15-20% even when pinging directly to the access point or other things on the local network. Other machine show no packet loss connected to the same AP.

kextstatus shows that it's using the Atheros driver:

79    0 0x5abf9000 0x8b000    0x8a000    com.apple.driver.AirPort.Atheros (300.22) <78 73 17 7 6 5 4 2>

A wierd thing I noticed is in System Profiler when I look at Network > AirPort Card it says, "AirPort is currently turned off" for the "Current Wireless Network," even though I'm connected and on the internet right now.

Any ideas? What other information should I gather?

same thing on my D-link DWG520, 19-27% packet loss, and it's local. i've replaced AppleSMBIOS.kext, IO10211Family.kext, and IONetworkingFamily.kext.

Well... I got man D-Link DWA 552 today... based on a Atheros 5008 and it work slike a charm.

It is fully recognized as AirPort, I just has to plug it in. It ever works in Wireless N....

kamikazi: did you notice packet loss? try a couple hundred pings locally and let us know! i didn't notice badly under 10.5.0 for some reason although pings show it, but it's completely terrible under 10.5.1 for reasons that escape me.

also, what kexts are you using for IO80211Family and IONetworking? Could you possibly rapidshare them for future reference?

kamikazi: did you notice packet loss? try a couple hundred pings locally and let us know! i didn't notice badly under 10.5.0 for some reason although pings show it, but it's completely terrible under 10.5.1 for reasons that escape me.

also, what kexts are you using for IO80211Family and IONetworking? Could you possibly rapidshare them for future reference?

I don't have any packet loss, I am using the standard 10.5.1 kext nothing fancy. However.. from time to time.. the card just drops the connection and a reboot is required. Actually this is starting to be anoying....

Update: The packet loss on the card is just way too anying. It stalls every 9 minutes during a minute or so. Also the connection speed is very slow (even in wireless N). I have another controller Edimax 7728 and it works better in Wireless N... still investigating.

• 5 months later...
I don't have any packet loss, I am using the standard 10.5.1 kext nothing fancy. However.. from time to time.. the card just drops the connection and a reboot is required. Actually this is starting to be anoying....

Update: The packet loss on the card is just way too anying. It stalls every 9 minutes during a minute or so. Also the connection speed is very slow (even in wireless N). I have another controller Edimax 7728 and it works better in Wireless N... still investigating.

How does the Edimax perform?

I had a look to the wiki:

Works beautifully using the Ralink 10.5 drivers at: http://www.ralinktech.com.tw/data/drivers/..._2007_11_26.dmg

Doesn't connect as Airport, and must be configured using the Ralink Utility; configured as ethernet. Occasional dropouts, but cause unconfirmed. As a side note, this card works perfectly in Vista x64 as well, n-mode all the way!

I would be concerned about the dropouts. Otherwise, I'll just go for the D-Link.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, got me the DWA 556 (PCI-E) and I too experience a hiuge packet loss pinging local router.

It sometimes drops the connection too. Running 10.5.4 (vanilla kernel).

Do you guys solved the issues with the card?

have read in another thread that modifying the device ID ont he card solves all, even full N draft support.

But it seems hard to change the ID.

Regards, relikwie.