wireless driver crashes OS

paul_b

10 posts in this topic

I have a netgear WPN311 PCI card which has a atheros AR5004G chipset. Following the thread below I simply added the vendor and device id 0x168c:0013 in the

/IO80211Family.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleAirPortBrcm4311.kext/Contents/Info.plist file and all seemed good.

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=23684

I went into System Preferences>Network and even though my network is displayed when I try and select the network the OS crashes!!!!! This must be something to do with the driver. Can somebody please help?

Zephyroth Leopard 10.5.1 AMD

In case you didn't get the info from this great how-to, check it out.

There could be issues if you use the driver under leo, that is made for tiger. Intel based wireless cards owners (like myself) have this problem under leo.

Sometimes it's not enough just to enter vendor id and device id, some patching is nesessary. And the best way to find out is, I believe, to look the great topic above :P

It's hard to say by downloading a file.

Speaking of using kexts from one version of mac os on another, I should say, that it's a blind shot. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't, and if you haven't found any replies from the people, that have tried to do this, it's on your own to try it out.

But you can experiment freely, but only by following some rules:

1. Always make a backup! Make a folder called "backup" (or whatever) at your / and copy there all kexts that you want to modify. Leave them in case you will need to restore the original kexts.

2. Make any modifications you need.

3. Check the result.. In case you have errors, boot in single mode, mount your drives, and restore original files from the backup folder. If no single mode can be used, boot from the installation DVD, go to terminal and resore the files from there, remembering that all youd drives are located in /Volumes/ folder (not in /)

I am not sure about packages, because they may contain install scripts, and in that way you cannot be sure what files will be modified. So be careful :thumbsup_anim:

Just looked at my airport set-up in 'about this mac' and the settings are WRONG!!!!!

The vendor id is correct at 0x168C but the device is wrong. It appears to be 0x5e00 !!!!! It should be 0x0013.

Can someone please help?

Cant find it in the kexts! This is what it says

AirPort Card Information:

Wireless Card Type: AirPort Extreme (0x168C, 0x5E00)

Wireless Card Locale: Unknown

Wireless Card Firmware Version: 1.2.2

Current Wireless Network: wireless network not available