Anyone want to help a Noob Plz?

bimmer88

3 posts in this topic

Ok... so I'm trying to install leopard on my toshiba u305 so that it can dual boot with windows vista. I have created another partition for it. I've tried doing research on these topics by looking at other threads, but since i'm not very technical with computers, can't seem to understand the vocabulary... I would appreciate it it very much if someone can explain some of this to me in lame men's terms.

Bootloader: It looks like I'll have to install one of these to dual-boot with vista. I checked out grub's homepage and I can't really understand it. It all reads like a foreign language to me. Is there an easier way of installing grub? Is the grub the best or should i try another bootloader? Do i need to install a bootloader to dual boot if i have two separate partitions on a HD?

Vanilla Kernal: What exactly is this? It says we can try it in the install instructions but what exactly does this do?

I'd appreciate any help I can get very much.

Thanks!!! :)

Personally I use EasyBCD and have had some success with it. It uses the Windows Vista bootloader to load Vista or Leo, it's great.

Vanilla kernel means an untouched kernel from apple off the original cd. If you install pc_efi and your pc specs are upto it you can try installing the vanilla kernel.

Thanks for the fast response. You guys are great! installed easybcd and it seems to be working fine. From what I gather, pc_efi=kalyway/leopard right? So i should install leopard first and if it works good then install the vanilla kernel? what are the benefits of installing the vanilla kernel? Sorry for my ignorance... thanks!!!