Installing Leopard on Dell XPS M140 Laptop

AliG098

24 posts in this topic

Hi I am trying to install Leopard on my Dell XPS M140 Laptop (512 MB, 1.86 Ghz Processor ). I downloaded the OSX86 iso (2.5 gig file) and burned a bootable DVD. I am having problems installing it. The machines boots to the first setup screen and wait for 2 minutes and restarts. I also tried pressing F8 on boot and typing –v –x on the boot prompt. I really would like to install Leopard so I can use this laptop for a while before buying my first apple computer.

I have windows vista (Sucks) already install on my hard disk (1 full partition) and trying to over right it with Leopard.

I hope someone can help me.

u have to turn off one core from bios if dual core...and u have to format your HDD... so back up ur vista.... turn off ur dual core support...insert iATKOS 1.0 dvd, run disk utility, partition ur HDD as 3 partitions (lets suppose u have 100 gb... partition it as follows [30 gb mac journalled, 30 gb ms dos, 30 gb ms dos] and then start the instalation as the manual for iATKOS (dawrin boot, then istallation) the point is first drive should be for LEOPARD (disk0 partition1), Vista (disk0 partition2) and third shared....that's all i think that what i did

• 3 weeks later...

I also have a Dell XPS M140 laptop and I cannot get OSX Leopard or any other distro including Tiger to install. Here are my specs:

Hard Disk: 78GB IDE

CD-ROM: Dual Layer DVD +-RW

Graphics: Intel 915GM graphics adapter with 8MB of memory

Display: Laptop display 14.1" wide XGA supports 1280x800

Audio: Sigmatel 9200

NIC Wireless: Intel pro wireless 2200GB

NIC Wired: Broadcom 440x 10/100 Integrated controller

Chipset: Intel i915GMS/i910GML

Southbridge: ICH6-M

Processor: Pentium M750 Dothan Socket 479 MMX,SSE,SSE2 1.86Mhz single, not hyperthreading capable

RAM: 1024MB DDR2 SDRAM

I also disabled the following BIOS settings:

Modem is "disabled"

Execute-disable bit capability to "off"

Computrace to "disable"

Speedstep enable to "off"

USB Wake support to "off"

All power management options disabled

USB emulation is "on"

I've tried Kalyway 10.5.1 official, JaS 10.4.8, JaS 10.4.9, iATKOS 1.0ir2, BrazilMac 10.5.0, etc.

I am using -v and -x in the boot options. My hard disk is formatted as FAT32 with no operating system (boot flag is not even set).

During the install, I get as far as the following:

VID: family specific matching fails

VID2: family specific matching fails

loading dsmos ...

Then I get a light blue screen and it just sits there forever.

Has anyone experienced this and found a solution? Or, does anyone have any tips or information for me that I an try?

Thanks in advance!

Well everyone,

After reading through the forums, I found the error of my ways .... it turns out the XPS M140 or Inspiron 630m requires an external monitor to be connected in order to boot. You can also jumper some of the pins - can't remember which ones, or make yourself an equivalent dongle. Now I have 10.5.2 running on my XPS M140!

I appreciate all the help here! This forum is great.

• 2 weeks later...

@smiley2billion

I got my wireless to work by finding a thread on this site. Search for iwi2200. There is a driver written for the Intel 2200bg. However, it only works for open networks (no security such as WEP, WPA, WPA2, etc.). There is also a GUI called nsGUI which is used to manage your connections.

Regarding sound, I searched the forum for Taruga's AppleHDA sound patcher and used the Stac9200-i.txt file to make it work. Both came from Taruga and can be found by searching the forum.

My signature gives an overview of my rigs!

Cheers!

Guys - which kernel did you choose during install? Mine works ok with the laptop monitor (usually takes 2 or 3 tried to get her to go). I did a straight up install on mine. No -v -x -tohkernel or anything else. Have any of you guys done a custom install (vanilla, sse2, etc)?

I can't get the wireless working though. Maybe I'm an idiot. I've found a couple of different iwi2200's as well. Also, have any of you guys devirginized? I tried it and it killed my bootloader so now I'm in the process of reinstalling. :P

Before I killed the installed version it was SCREAMING fast w/ 2 gigs of RAM. Incredible.

• 7 months later...

hey Stronzo i'm kinda having the same problem as you. I have a xps m140 here with basically factory hardware except i upgraded my ram to 2 gb. I am running the kalaway 10.5.1 bootable disc right now and the same problem i'm running into is the skyblue screen that kinda just freezes. currently I have windows xp installed so i'm just trying to get the boot disc working so that i can partition my harddrive and then after reinstall windows xp. Please if anyone has any suggestions it would be greatly appreciated. Thanx

• 2 months later...

any new news on installing on a xps m140. I have been trying to install with a retail dvd of 10.5.4 and each different booter I find just gives a different type of error message. The most common being ebios error. cant find root source. and firewire security problem. Hoping for some help here. Thought it may be the laptop so I tried on a xps 400 tower and same kinds of errors. What working bios settings are people using?

• 2 weeks later...

I have finally been able to get up and running on my Dell M140 using iPC osx86 FINAL using the Voodoo kernal, booting off an external USB drive.

However, I can only boot in safe mode using -x (I had to use the 1 wire trick to get past the blue screen issue). No sound and no ethernet/wireless. Sleep even works.

If I use -v on boot, I notice that there are some VID errors.

I used the Taruga HDA patcher and the Stack9200i.txt but still get no sound. I think, although I'm a noob and not sure, that the sound issue is with booting in safe mode.

Other than sound and connection issues, everything works well.

I'll keep working on it.

As a note: I'm trying to use the iPC FINAL disc an a newer HP dv6500 AMD but it crashes with a Voodoo Kernal Panic on installation disc startup. ????

habe

I have finally been able to get up and running on my Dell M140 using iPC osx86 FINAL using the Voodoo kernal, booting off an external USB drive.

However, I can only boot in safe mode using -x (I had to use the 1 wire trick to get past the blue screen issue). No sound and no ethernet/wireless. Sleep even works.

If I use -v on boot, I notice that there are some VID errors.

I used the Taruga HDA patcher and the Stack9200i.txt but still get no sound. I think, although I'm a noob and not sure, that the sound issue is with booting in safe mode.

Other than sound and connection issues, everything works well.

I'll keep working on it.

As a note: I'm trying to use the iPC FINAL disc an a newer HP dv6500 AMD but it crashes with a Voodoo Kernal Panic on installation disc startup. ????

habe

What is the one wire trick. I have a m140 and struggling to get it installed

• 2 months later...
Well everyone,

After reading through the forums, I found the error of my ways .... it turns out the XPS M140 or Inspiron 630m requires an external monitor to be connected in order to boot. You can also jumper some of the pins - can't remember which ones, or make yourself an equivalent dongle. Now I have 10.5.2 running on my XPS M140!

I appreciate all the help here! This forum is great.

• 4 months later...

I hate to join a message board and resurrect a dead thread, but I'm having some trouble installing iDeneb v 1.3 10.5.5 on my XPS M140.

I've tried everything I can think of, including using -v, -x, and plugging in an external display.

When I type in -v -x and hit enter, it says something like:

Loading HFS file ~something~

Loading HFS file ~something~

~something I can't remember~

Loading HFS file [system/library/extensions.mkext] from 4230480

Or something like that. That last line pops up fast and then, out of nowhere, the system reboots. Can anyone help me?

System's old, but should be able to run it fine...

XPS M140

Intel 1.7GHz

512MB RAM

60GB HDD

If you guys need to know anything else, I'll try to give it to you.

Thanks!

I was able to get it installed on my m140 using the live dvd install disc thats floating around. just had to make sure i had the correct tabs checked for my installed things and got everything but sound to work fine. wifi though would connect but only to non secure networks. Ended up ditching it and just keeping it a xp/linux comp. Hope this helps some

If I can't get it to work, I'll just end up keeping Kubuntu on it.

I found a picture of EXACTLY where my computer hangs up. It stops here for around 3 seconds, then reboots. Instead of 422d690 at the end of those lines, I have 4230480.

maconpc01.jpg

Every once in a while, like the last time I tried, it locks up after getting to this, which is all I can see on the screen right now, but I know there was more before it.

Debugger called <panic>
Backtrace, Format - Frame : Return Address (4 potential args on stack)
0x4f0f18 : 0x12b0e1 (0x45833c 0x4f0f4c 0x133285 0x0)
0x4f0f68 : 0x1a801a (0x461820 0xffe01843 0x51b120 0x12)
0x4f0fe8 : 0x1a0635 (0x12 0x0 0x0 0x0)
Backtrace terminated-invalid frame pointer 0

BSD process name corresponding to current thread: Unknown

Mac OS version:
Not yet set

Kernel version:
Darwin Kernel Version 9.2.0: Sun Mar 2 00:11:08 SCT 2008; made by ToH:xnu-1228/BUILD/obj/RELEASE_I386

Have you tried re downloading the installer disk and burning it on the absolute lowest speed you can for your comp? I know when I was first trying to the DLed copy I had wasnt a good copy and I had burned it at to high of speed. Thats about the only other thing I can think of. Have you made sure when you go to the screen to select what kexts and that stuff you want installed is only installing what you need and nothing more? Also you can try not installing the sound or wifi until its up and running.

Hope this helps

If I can't get it to work, I'll just end up keeping Kubuntu on it.

I found a picture of EXACTLY where my computer hangs up. It stops here for around 3 seconds, then reboots. Instead of 422d690 at the end of those lines, I have 4230480.

maconpc01.jpg

Every once in a while, like the last time I tried, it locks up after getting to this, which is all I can see on the screen right now, but I know there was more before it.

Debugger called <panic>
Backtrace, Format - Frame : Return Address (4 potential args on stack)
0x4f0f18 : 0x12b0e1 (0x45833c 0x4f0f4c 0x133285 0x0)
0x4f0f68 : 0x1a801a (0x461820 0xffe01843 0x51b120 0x12)
0x4f0fe8 : 0x1a0635 (0x12 0x0 0x0 0x0)
Backtrace terminated-invalid frame pointer 0

BSD process name corresponding to current thread: Unknown

Mac OS version:
Not yet set

Kernel version:
Darwin Kernel Version 9.2.0: Sun Mar 2 00:11:08 SCT 2008; made by ToH:xnu-1228/BUILD/obj/RELEASE_I386

Have you tried re downloading the installer disk and burning it on the absolute lowest speed you can for your comp? I know when I was first trying to the DLed copy I had wasnt a good copy and I had burned it at to high of speed. Thats about the only other thing I can think of. Have you made sure when you go to the screen to select what kexts and that stuff you want installed is only installing what you need and nothing more? Also you can try not installing the sound or wifi until its up and running.

Hope this helps

I am downloading iATKOS, and I'll try that. I'll try burning at a slower speed and see if that helps, I never thought of that.

Thanks for the tip, vwyodapink. I tried burning it as slow as my drive would let me (2.4x), and it works, with a hitch. I can get up to where it asks me to select a language. I click English, and it just hangs up there, with a slowly spinning colored pinwheel...

My iATKOS download all but stopped, so I'll try iPC 10.5.6.

• 2 months later...

I have been able to install OSX Leopard on my Dell XPS M140 laptop. I used iDeneb v1.5.1 for 10.5.7. There isn't anything to change in the BIOS because the BIOS is so simplistic that I couldn't change anything. I did a standalone install, no dual-boot. Laptop has

CPU - Intel Centrino Pentium M 1.73 GHz

RAM - 2x512 MB DDR 533 MHZ

Video - Intel GMA915

I booted off the iDeneb DVD and used the Disk Utility first to make one slice. I also used options to set it to use the GUID partition manager. After getting the disk set up I moved on and chose to Customize the install. Outside of the default options I chose

Fix -> Voodoo Battery manager

Kernel -> 9.7.0 Qoopz

Drivers->

Audio ->VoodooHDA

Chipset -> ICHx Fixed

Network -> Ethernet -> Broadcom -> AppleBCM440x

Video -> Intel -> Intel GMA 900

I didn't need to hook it up to an external monitor and video gets installed as a GMA 950 with these specs

64 MB VRAM

Device ID: 0x2592

Revision ID: 0x0003

Resolution: 1280 x 800

Depth: 32-Bit Color

Core Image (CI): Hardware Accelerated

Quartz Extreme (QE): Supported

Wired Network works

Wireless - I gave up on this. People seem to be getting a replacement card to get wireless on this laptop

Audio - works

USB works

I tried lots of different options and read A LOT on this forum to understand and get by the roadblocks with different distributions and different settings. Thanks to so many for their contributions.

Hey, thank you so much for the instructions, they worked like a charm. I just wanted to add to the instructions by saying that I managed to get the wireless working by installing these drivers: http://iwidarwin.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/...0.5/iwi2200.dmg

They work great, but you have to make sure that you don't have Ethernet plugged in at the same time, or else wireless won't connect.

Thanks again.

• 2 months later...

I know I'm resurrecting a dead thread, but this was the thread I referred to in my quest to install Leopard on my Insprion 630m (aka XPS m140), and I wanted to add the steps that got me to a 99.8% working system (muting the speaker volume doesn't work...the system volume cannot be muted and the speakers don't auto-mute when headphones are plugged in, and I need to do the paperclip/staple/1 wire trick to boot - more on a really easy version of this trick later!).

I'm running Kalyway 10.5.1 (old, I know, but the easiest I've found to get working).

The first step is something you should do BEFORE installing leo if you want to use the laptop's built in wireless card. Download the wireless network driver iwi2200.dmg from http://code.google.com/p/iwidarwin/downloa...mp;can=2&q= and save it to a flash drive for later use.

So, now you can download and install Kalyway 10.5.1. I did not choose any drivers to install, just go with the defaults (make sure to choose the right bootloader settings, however). You MUST select the SSE2 kernel!

After the install succeeds, reboot. If you are truly the chosen one. your laptop may boot into the leopard desktop. If you are a mere mortal, you will get a blank, light blue screen, without even a mouse cursor. You will have to perform the paperclip/staple/1 wire trick, which will be referred to as the staple trick here. I basically followed the steps here, which describe how a staple can be used to connect two pins on the external display port to trick OSX into thinking an external monitor is attached. I'll try to detail the trick in words here:

-Take a stapler and staple nothing to get a single staple out. Unbend the ends of the staple.

-Bend the middle of the staple until the ends are fairly close together.

-Stick one end of the staple into the LAST HOLE, ALL THE WAY TO THE RIGHT in the SECOND ROW of holes on the display adapter (the port with the monitor-ish icon below it).

-Stick the other end of the staple into the SECOND HOLE FROM THE RIGHT in the LAST ROW of holes on the display adapter.

-Make sure both ends of the staple are firmly in place in their respective holes. There should be a somewhat obnoxious loop of staple sticking out that you need to hold to keep in place; read on.

-Bend the somewhat obnoxious loop of staple downwards, so that the loop is as flat against the port as possible. This will also serve to lock the ends of the staple into place; you should never have to touch the staple again. (This was my genius addition to the above linked instructions :-P)

Ensure that the ends of the staple are firmly in place and boot the laptop. If you've successfully performed the trick, you should boot into the desktop. If not, you'll simply see the blue screen once again: just fudge around with the staple and reboot until you get to the desktop. This trick is an art, not a science. I've made a poor effort to make the process as scientific as possible, but as always there are no guarantees. And, there should be no rogue sparks or implosions, but I'm not the one responsible for any damage induced by this trick.

Ok - you're at the desktop, but you have no wireless internet or sound, QE/CI is not supported, and your trackpad doesn't support multitouch or scrolling. Who wants a computer that can't connect to the net, play sound, show you cool images and animations, or let you use it with more than one finger?

I'll bet that you don't, so plug in that flash drive from the first step. Install iwi2200 from the dmg, and reboot if it tells you to (I don't remember). Upon install/reboot, there should be a not-as-good-looking network icon in the menubar. Click it and select your wifi network. Keep in mind that these drivers only support unprotected networks, so if you use protection at home (which is highly recommended in all senses of the word), either disable it or use your neighbor's wifi. Sharing is caring!

Now, let's tackle the sound. This is simple, but the solution isn't perfect. Download Taruga's AppleHDA patcher from here (you need to be a member of insanelymac forums, so if you haven't yet registered, now's the time to take the plunge). Unzip the archive and remember where the .app file is located. Next, download the codec for your laptop from http://psykopat.free.fr/apple/AppleHDA/sig.../Stac9200-i.txt. Save this .txt file to your desktop, and make sure that the file has a .txt extension. Now, drag the stac9200-i.txt file onto the applehda patcher .app file, and the patcher will work its magic. Reboot when it's finished. Open itunes or play a video from youtube to ensure that the audio works.

The only shortcoming with this patch is that the system volume cannot be muted - it can go to a really low level, but never to 0. Oh well, a small price to pay and not a really huge deal.

Next on the list is QE/CI for the GMA915 sitting inside your laptop. Simply follow the instructions in the first post of this thread, and you should be fully QE/CI enabled. MAKE SURE TO BACKUP ANY FILES, ESPECIALLY KEXTS, THAT YOU REPLACE! This way, if something goes wrong, you can go into single user mode (boot with the -s flag) and fix it.

If the above linked thread does not enable QE/CI, you can always put your device id into the info.plist of the required .kexts. This is a well documented process - just search google for the details.

Whew. So far, we have all the core components working. But I'm sure that you want your hackbook to imitate a genuine macbook as much as possible (or you at least want to be able to scroll using the trackpad). So, let's hijack stuff from the mydellmini hackintosh scene - as I said, sharing is caring! Click over to http://www.mydellmini.com/forum/general-ma...ad-drivers.html, register for an account on the forums, and grab all three files attached at the end of the first post. Then, follow the directions written here to install the .kext, launchdaemon, and prefpane. Reboot and look in System Preferences for the "Trackpad" prefpane. Configure it to your liking, and you now have multitouch and scrolling on your trackpad! Thanks, netbook-toshers!

At this point, you have a rock-solid, quiet, fully-functioning hackintosh install on your 630m/m140. The downside is that, as you've probably noticed, kalyway has left some marks on your otherwise kosher (well, as kosher as a hackbook can get, I guess) leopard install. So, assuming your definition of virginity is an old laptop on which we've mangled an unsupported OS, you can search the internet for steps to virginize your kalyway install. I recommend doing it manually instead of using the premade scripts, if only to ensure system stability.

So, that's all I've got. After following this long, grueling guide, you should have a satisfactory osx86 install on your aging laptop (leopard really flies on this laptop). Go get a dessert, a slice of pie or a cookie. Reward yourself.

Oh, and now that you've already rewarded yourself - I lied. I said the only downside was that your leopard comes installed without its virginity - the other downside is that you're running 10.5.1, which is a fairly old version of leopard. This may be detrimental to some because some software requires later versions of leopard. I chose to stay on 10.5.1 because I don't feel like messing around with sketchy ComboUpdates and the like - we've already done a lot of work patching up our system. In my opinion, it ain't broke (at least not anymore), so don't fix it.

I hope my guide was helpful to anyone that's reading, whether you're an experienced hackintosher crawling insanelymac or you're a first time osx86er (hey, that sounds good - the san francisco osx86ers) who found this post on google. More importantly, I hope you enjoyed the humor I've tried to sprinkle in - this can be a really frustrating process, but should be taken lightly and *gasp* enjoyed. So, have fun with your new hackbook!

• 10 months later...

It all works great. Follow AEROGEEK'S setup and your good to go. After weeks of reading and reading and trying and trying and failing. the best outcome i've found is with iDeneb v1.5.1

setup:

iDeneb v1.5.1 OSx86 10.5.7 universal final

audio: works

usb:works

video:works w/ QE and CI

network: wired and wireless work - wireless connects to secure WEP as well