Where to begin?

gai-jin

2 posts in this topic

I see a couple of posts mentioning osx running on an mx7118 laptop, but those were over a year ago and using a 1.47 version. Has anyone else gotten it to work on this or similar hardware? Any suggestions on which version to try? Pitfalls to watch out for?

Details from the gateway spec sheet found here:

http://support.gateway.com/s/Mobile/Q106/S...w/5963sp3.shtml

Mobile AMD Athlon™ 64-bit 3400+ Processor

ATI RS480M

ATI Radeon® Xpress 200M Graphics

AC '97 2.3 Compliant Audio -- Conexant AC-Link

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

• 11 months later...
I see a couple of posts mentioning osx running on an mx7118 laptop, but those were over a year ago and using a 1.47 version. Has anyone else gotten it to work on this or similar hardware? Any suggestions on which version to try? Pitfalls to watch out for?

Details from the gateway spec sheet found here:

http://support.gateway.com/s/Mobile/Q106/S...w/5963sp3.shtml

Mobile AMD Athlon™ 64-bit 3400+ Processor

ATI RS480M

ATI Radeon® Xpress 200M Graphics

AC '97 2.3 Compliant Audio -- Conexant AC-Link

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

No, no luck. MX7118 uses ATI x200 chipset known to be problematic. I have tried at least 10 different versions of OS X86 from 10.4.7 (the only one that boots) to latest iDeneb 10.5.5 but no luck. One of Leopard eversions gets to instal lbut fails to boot after restart. I had no time to investigate but it may be an easy fix. Running 10.4.7 i get the os t boot although erratic when trying to actually install any kid of software, it freezes at times. Also wireless works only at first run, after that stops (broadcom). I have given up on that one since it was big waste of my time. At least my desktop works flawlessly and i am hesitant to upgrade for now, and Powerbook is steady performer still.

I will test any new 'distro' out there and post if there is any new findings.