Dualbooting Leopard and Vista Guide?

Shingles

8 posts in this topic

I am looking for the easiest guide to dualbooting Leopard and Vista on an Intel PC. I am downloading the Kalyway image right now, but I don't want to have to deal with the boot cd or flash drive or editing bios. I like EasyBCD and would like to use that, any help or guides for me to look at? I dont want to have to take different pieces from like 5 guides. I am sure I'm not the only one looking for this. Thanks for any help!

My laptop specs are:

HP Pavillion dv2000

Windows Vista Ultimate 64-bit

160 GB Hard Drive

2 GB RAM

Intel Core 2 Duo T7500 @ 2.20 GHz

NVIDIA 8400 GS

When it says restore disk, on this HP, I can make recovery disks. Is that the same thing? I also have a Vista Ultimate install disk for my other computer (this laptop came with Ultimate already so I used that disk for my desktop). Which disks should I use? Thanks.

You follow these:

3. Create at least 6GB of unallocated space:

- Press the windows logo in the bottom left corner of you screen (assuming that you’re using Windows Vista)

- Right click ‘computer’ and select ‘manage’

- Select ‘Disk Management’ in the ‘Computer Management’ screen.

- Select a partition with at least 6GB of free space

- Right click it and hit ’shrink volume”, type in the amount of space to shrink (at least 6GB) and hit ‘Shrink’.

- Close all open windows.

4. Hit WINDOWS BUTTON + R and type ‘diskpart’ (without quotes)

5. Type in (press enter after you typed in a line):

list disk

select disk [the number of your disk]

create partition primary id=af

list partition

select partition [the number of your new osx partition]

active (if this doesn’t work, try ’set active’ without quotes)

6. Insert the OSX install disk and reboot your computer, follow the installation steps on your screen. Read everything carefully and select the right packages!

7. After finishing the installation, OSX should boot up. Play with it for a few moments and then proceed to the next step.

8. Insert your Vista install disk and press reboot. Boot up Vista’s install disk.

9. After booting the install disk, click repair system and press next. Open the command window and type ‘diskpart’. Then type:

list disk

select disk [the number of your disk]

list partition

select partition [the number of your windows partition]

active (if this doesn’t work, try ’set active’ without quotes)

10. Reboot into Windows Vista.

11. Copy chain0 to the root of the Vista partition (mostly C:/)

12. Press WIN+R and type ‘cmd’. And type:

bcdedit /copy {current} /d “Mac OS X” (just leave the {current} there and don’t change it)

bcdedit /enum active

bcdedit /set [iD] PATH \chain0 (replace [iD] with you identifier: http://janschneiders.googlepages.com/idosx.gif)

13. Now you can reboot your computer and you’ll see a nice dual boot menu!

You can get chain0 here:

http://riccardo.raneri.it/blog/eng/wp-cont...6/08/chain0.rar

I really don't think you can mess that up...good luck.

last question, on step 12, when it says "bcdedit /set [iD] PATH \chain0 (replace [iD] with you identifier: http://janschneiders.googlepages.com/idosx.gif)" what does that whole part with replace [iD] with you identifier mean? that site mentioned doesnt work (janschneiders.googlepages.com/idosx.gif)thanks for the help!

EDIT: nevermind! i didnt realize it took the parenthesis too, my bad! thanks for the help!

• 1 month later...