Install Success

GoldenCyn

1 post in this topic

Ok, so after a hell of a time trying to get this to work, i managed to get Leopard to install, boot, multi-boot, and get online! Here is how i did it for my machine (only thing that never worked until now is my ethernet)

I decided that using patched DVD's wouldnt work for me because i tried almost 8 of them (tiger and leopard) and nothing ever got me online or had problems booting. This attempt actually rendred xp unbootable, but here is what i did.

After a failed Leopard install, XP was Unbootable, so i reinstalled my unattended install of xp, hit the forums and learned to set up the tboot method (file included in this post). All you have to do is drop the tboot file in the same directory as your boot.ini file (usually just C:\) and then edit your boot.ini file by adding the following to the end of the file on the last line:

c:\tboot="Mac OSX Leopard"

Next i used my original Leopard dvd on my old powerbook to rip it to my powerbooks hard drive using disk utility and patching it with brazilmac's scripts. The entire patching process took about 20 minutes on my 867mhz 12 inch PowerBook G4. Burned the dvd in my powerbooks superdrive and put it in my HP DC7100's dvd drive. Note: I also put my fat32-formatted thumb drive labled "123" in and copied over everything found in a "files.rar" archive i found on a DigitMemo.com posting titled "Howto: The Complete Mac Leopard Installation a...".

Shutdown my XP and booted Leopard Patched DVD (no need for verbose or anything like that, i just pressed any key to boot from cd and it booted no problem, be prepared to wait a while cuz it loads slow).

Did the usual, selected my leopard destination disk and partitioned it as an MBR and labled it Leopard. Went to install menu, selected Customize, removed Additional Fonts, Additional Language Files, and X11 (never ever had a use for X11). Installed, success, but not done yet.

I left the dvd in and rebooted after it installed, as soon as the installer loaded up again, i launched the terminal and ran the following code to Post Patch my Leopard Install:

cd /Volumes/123/files
./9a581PostPatch.sh

Hit yes when asked twice, it will automatically reboot.

I left the dvd in again, and let it go into the installer again, this time, i wanted to setup the bootfix.

Run the terminal and enter the following code:

diskutil list

look at where your Leopard disk is. You need the Disk Number, and Partition Number (diskxsy where x=disk and y=partition)

fdisk -e /dev/rdiskX
update
f Y
w

Y=Partition number

Hit y to changes to take effect, then hit q and your done. Dont reboot, just enter the next bit of code to finish up:

cd /Volumes/12/files/bootfix
./dd if=/usr/standalone/i386/boot1h of=/dev/rdiskXsY bs=512 count=1
umount /Volumes/Leopard
./startupfiletool -v /dev/rdiskXsY /usr/standalone/i386/boot
./bless -device /dev/diskXsY -setBoot -verbose

DONE. Reboot, take the cd out, and you should now boot into Leopard.

YOUR NOT DONE YET, Networking isnt working. Download the files at the bottom of this post (hopefully you did this all beforehand and put it on the same 123 thumbdrive. Open up Kext_Helper_b7.zip and extract the other two kext.zip files included in this post. Launch Kext Helper and drag and drop the two extracted kexts into the Kext Helper window. Enter your password and the Easy Install button will become active. Hit install, press ok, quit.

Launch DiskUtility, select Leopard, click Repair Disk Permissions. Wait, when its done; quit. Reboot, and log back in. Ethernet might still not work, do the following:

Open System Preferences, click Network, click Assist Me near the bottom, click Assistant in the pop-up menu. It will show you a menu that has a profile that it just created with the date and time. Click next, select how you connect to the internet (i selected cable modem). Hit continue, hit continue again. Its now going to ask for a DHCP ID (i was stumped, so i just put "a" and hit continue. It will give you an error saying it could not establish connection. Hit ok, then hit continue again, and BAM, it works!

Lanuch Safari and enjoy!

tboot.zip

Kext_Helper_b7.zip

AppleBCM5751Ethernet.kext.zip

AppleIntel8255x.kext.zip