EFI vs Darwin and other n00b questions

binacaboy

4 posts in this topic

Okay i've tried installing 6 or 7 times now and I must be doing something terribly wrong. First off, here are my system specs:

Asus P5N-E SLI 650i

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 2.4ghz

4gb Corsair RAM

250 GB WD SATA HD - 2 partitions, 1 xp, 1 vista, vista being my main

80GB WD IDE HD - Reserved for leopard

Nvidia Geforce 8800GT 256

First off Some Questions:

I originally used this guide: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=83092

I'm using iATKOS V1.0i R2

EFI:

Can I triple boot when using EFI? If thats the case do I use EasyBSD in Vista to do this or use Leopard somehow?

Is there any advantage in terms of speed or stability to EFI as opposed to Darwin x86? If I do install EFI there are 3 options below the install, which ones should I check?

Right now i have EFI installed on a MBR partition on my 80gb IDE. However when i boot to it it blinks blink the cursor in the top left. I changed the Boof flag to boot in Gparted but it still does nothing. If I try to access it via EasyBSD, it gives me a chain booting error. Do i need to use a different partition type or what?

And then if all these questions are wrong or don't make sense i'll try Darwin x86, but what functionality am I losing.

I know that was a lot of question, thanks in advance. :angel:

EFi is apples version of the bios. EFI emulation emulated that on top of the bios. Darwin bootloader can run with EFI.. EFI is not a bootloader. With Darwin you choose the partition to boot.. wheter it be XP or Leopard. Once you boot leopard it loads the EFI emulation and boots Mac.