16 posts in this topic

I don't have a whole lot of money to spend, but I really want to buy a Macbook. I have a few choices right now, and I was wondering what everyone else thinks.

1) Baseline Macbook + 120gb HDD from apple education store(My mother works at a middle school, we're eligable) - $1067

2) Baseline refurbished Macbook - $950

3) Refurb Santa Rosa Black Macbook(2.2GHz, Superdrive, 160gb HDD) - $1299

4) Wait for the next upgrade to the Macbook line, I think it's due pretty soon.

Please reply if you have an opinion. :angel:

I guess now it's just gonna depend on how much money I have a the time of purchase - probably July. If I make as much as planned, I'll go with the refurbished 2.2GHz model white, If I make more than expected, I'll buy the refurbished 2.2GHz model black. Black is oh-so-sexy. :)

Thats true. I just added a 2gb stick in my macbook.
How much performance did you gain from it?

• 2 weeks later...
wow! there's one for $680 by me.

Be weary of scammers on craigslist. I checked craigslist daily and replied to nearly every offer and requested pickup but usually ended up with an email reply like this:

Hello,

My name is Amy XXXXXX and I am now in London, United Kingdom (I was sent here wih my work).

It's brand new, in box, 100% perfect condition. FULL warranty. It has been received as a gift so I don't know it's exact price, I hope the price it's attactive enough...

I made an order for a new TV for UK use and I need the money from this sale to pay it.

We can close a deal ASAP.

Obviously we need a way to complete this deal that will allow us to make sure we receive what we are after.

I have found a way for us to complete the deal safely and fast, and in this way you will receive the Laptop in less than 2

days, if you move fast as well. The solution is provided by UPS, which will handle the payment and delivery of the Laptop.

I have found a procedure that will allow you to pay for the Laptop only after you will receive it and through this way you

will see it and test it before I receive my payment.

You can visit www.ups.com for more information. I'm sure you've heard about them, I worked with them many times.

Like I said, I will pay for a 2 days delivery so you will receive the Laptop right away.

I will explain to you step by step how this will work:

1) First, you will have to send me your full name and address. I will need them for the shipping.

2) I go to UPS and leave the Laptop onto your name as the intended receiver.

3) UPS will check the Laptop to see if everything is OK with it and also the legal papers that will come along with the

Laptop.

4) UPS will send you a delivery notification to let you know they have the Laptop, in which you will be told that they have

the Laptop and that they checked it.

5) At this point you will have to go to a Western Union Agent Location and make a money deposit on the UPS payment agent name

for the amount we agreed.

6) After you make the deposit you will have to send the info about the money deposit to UPS (MTCN, sender's name and address)

7) UPS will verify the payment informations and if everything is in order they will deliver the Laptop to you .

8) After you receive the Laptop you will have a 5 days inspection period to check it and see that all is in order. If you decide to keep it, you will instruct UPS to release the funds to me. If you decide not to keep it, you can send it back free of charge and UPS will refund you the same day.

I will pay UPS for the shipping and you will pay Western Union for the Money Transfer fee .

Let me know if we can do this.

Thank you,

Amy

I finally got fed up with stuff like this and went out and bought one :P

Does any body have any information or rumors on when the next update to the Macbook line will be, and what it will include? I'm hoping for 2gb RAM standard :D

Probably not that soon, they just got an update in IIRC late Nov. early Dec. I doubt they will get any kind of substantial dedicated video, that's what the MacBook Pro is for.