Atheros connects but says its off, drops connection after awhile

Jeva Hose

3 posts in this topic

I edited my IO80211 kext to add my information based on what Windows reported:

Atheros Communications Inc

11a/b/g Wireless LAN Mini PCI Express Adapter

Vendor 168C, Device 1014, Sub system 058A 101

I'm pretty sure I did this correctly as I am able to connect to my WEP network but I must do this at every boot since it does not auto connect, and about every hour or so (not sure of the length of time, it varies) I must go to the Network Diagnostics Wizard to reconnect - clicking on the icon does not show any previously saved networks. Also, the status shows that it is off even though it is currently connected. Tiger auto connected just fine to my network and showed the status - everything functioned as it should.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Well I fixed my problem, so I'll share in case others are having the same issue. I was using IO80211Family.kext from 10.4.8 which connected but didn't show status, didn't auto connect and dropped connections after a while. Turns out all I needed to do was add my information to the 10.5.1 IO80211Family.kext and *poof* everything is working PERFECTLY - adding functionality I had not ever seen, heh, weee!

Using Pacifist I extracted IO80211Family.kext from my Leopard DVD, and still using Pacifist I updated the kext from the 10.5.1 update dmg image. Adding pci168c,1014 to the .../PlugIns/AirPortAtheros.kext/Contents/Info.plist (rather than the previous AirPortAtheros5424.kext) with a permission fix and reboot with rebuilding kernel cache and I was good to go! I have a T60p and got the information from here:

http://forum.thinkpads.com/viewtopic.php?t=50197

• 10 months later...