Questions about the P5W DH Deluxe

guaterickie

7 posts in this topic

Thinking of buying a P5W DH Deluxe but need some details from people who already own this board.

How does it funtion with Leopard? - Have you gotten EFI and Vanilla Kernel to work...

Do all four SATA ports work? Thinking of either buying two more HDD's or one HDD and a SATA DVD Drive...

Do IDE devices work in Leopard with this board? I have an IDE DVD Drive that i would like to test before buying the SATA one so can you guys tell me if your IDE devices have worked? Note: I've heard only some IDE Drives work with OSX but my current one is working with 10.5.1 (I'm writing from Leopard)

Do 4GB (4 x1GB) of RAM correctly work under this mobo? Are they identified and used correctly?

I think those are all my questions. Here is a very broad question though:

What are the things YOU have gotten working with this board, what would you recommend, should i buy this board

Irrelevant Question:

What is a good heatsink? I really want a very cheap one because the mobo is pretty expensive itself and with an HDD that comes to 246 so i want a cheap one. Can i use my current stock heatsink for the other mobo? I think i just need thermal paste right?

REALLY irrelevant question:

On my current install it seems that Windows will NOT let me install anymore...it will not use the partition i've made for it already...it says it doesnt meet its criteria or something along those lines....yes i have formatted to NTFS and no im not running GUID im running MBR.

What can i do to install windows...I've even tried using Gparted to make the partition before hand but Windows just wont install to it. Note: Before i installed leopard for long term i even tried erasing the whole HDD and just making one NTFS partition and even then windows wouldnt install. VMware Fusion installs just fine but i want to play games so i want a native install!

Thanks for any help guys, i really want to do my research before making a dumb purchase so excuse the long post and all the questions.

Awesome board, almost everything works great including raid 0. The only component not working is the usb wireless but next month realtek will be releasing a driver for it. when i say everything im including efi and vanilla kenel, oh and raid wont work on most board since they need hardware raid, like the ez raid included on this board. Oh and this board also supports 45nm chips.

Awesome board, almost everything works great including raid 0. The only component not working is the usb wireless but next month realtek will be releasing a driver for it. when i say everything im including efi and vanilla kenel, oh and raid wont work on most board since they need hardware raid, like the ez raid included on this board. Oh and this board also supports 45nm chips.

AFAIK OSX86 (Leopard) doesn't support RAID-configs.

it installs the utility but doesn't work, and yes it does support raid using the hardware silicon image ez-raid ports, it just doesn't support intel raid which is software based. Oh and im not saying i think it supports raid im using it as we speak lol, its very quick. oh and for the ide cd drive, im pertty sure it wont work i had alot of issues with mine, my advice is to get and lg sata drives ive going crazy trying to find compatible dvd drives just stay away from asus and lite on, i just had to return them, with my luck newegg is out of lg drives.

oh and use iatkos rc2 , the ethernet driver doesnt work in kalyway