Hard drive a different size in disk utility

edridh

15 posts in this topic

This is using kalyway 10.5.1 on a gigabyte 965p-ds3 and a samsung 500gb sata drive.

The problem is quite simply that osx doesn't seem to be able to see the whole of this drive. Whereas Windows sees the full 465gb, as do Disk Director and Partition Magic, osx only seems to see 128gb. It sees this 128gb whether the whole drive is completely free, if vista is installed and has an 80gb free partition ready, if there's 80gb free space etc. etc. - always 128gb hard drive free.

Thanks

From looking around, setting AHCI on was a possible option but that BSOD's my windows installation. Are there any settings that are known to cause these kinds of things with the ds3?

Also, I'm using an IDE DVD drive so that I guess has to be taken into account.

try putting the Sata mode to Native ide in ur bios instead of legacy.. which is default. If you have that options that is.. and if u have gigabytes pheonix bios.. then i suspect it would be an option.

Thanks, that worked perfectly. My next problem is that in the Disk Utility now I can see the disk, any attempts to erase and reformat either empty space or an hfs created compatible partition give me the following error.

"Volume Erase Failed

Volume Erase failed with the error:

MediaKit reports checksum operation failure."

Now I'm not sure this will remove the above error but I tried enabling AHCI properly so I wasn't getting the error when booting to Windows but now I'm faced with the error...

'System config file '/com.apple.Boot.plist' not found'

From reading around on the internet, it seems that this is because I'm booting from an IDE DVD Drive but I was under the impression that using one was perfectly fine with Kalyway. Any ideas, any solutions?

Managed to steal an SATA drive so I'm now passed that error but I'm back to square 1 with the Hard Drive erasing, still giving me the MediaKit reports checksum operation failure message.

Any help would be much appreciated.

yea AHCI isnt friendly with IDE drives. The only thing i can reccomend seeing how ive never gotten that error is.. try (using some third party program) reformatting the whole hardrive or partition u want to install leopard on as Fat32.. even if thats what u already have. If that still doesnt work.. maybe ur disk is bad.

Tried doing that unfortunately. Tried leaving it empty, tried formatting it for HFS+ and tried formatting it as FAT32, all came out with the same error.

Nothing else seems to have a problem with it though; Vista had no problems, disk director has no problems, fdisk has no problems etc. etc. - I've tried them all. I guess it could be the hard disk but I'm not really in a position where I can just buy another £60 replacement for a drive I bought just 3 months ago, nor can I wait for it to be replaced. Is there no way around this at all?

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

That particular error was definitely something to do with AHCI and how that was enabled or not enabled.

However, I didn't ever manage to get Leopard to install, I didn't ever get past the "MediaKit reports checksum operation failure message."

• 2 weeks later...