Few Questions about installing jas 10.4.8 for dual boot

kyle elkins

4 posts in this topic

Ok i have installed it on VMare before but i want to do a native install. I know that i can install it through vmware if i have problems but i have a few small questions.

My laptop says i have 2 hard drives in my computer.. however when i used disk utility to check a partition it says i have 1 drive... its called disk 0 and has 3 partitions.. One of them is the size of my C drive and one is the size of my D drive and another is a small one ( i figure it has my dell system stuff on it)

I am going to install tiger onto the 2nd partition of my drive but i want to know if i can format that partition using the tiger disk utility. I have heard i can and cant. Also for my main question... how can i set that partition to be bootable?? I have read a few quides but i get lost on them real fast... What i want to be able to do is to be able to select XP or OS X at start up.

Im sorry i know these questions have been asked a billion times but i just need some help to get started ( my jas will finish downloading soon)

Oh and i also have several guides bookmarked from this site about the actual instal. Just the dual boot set up and the hard drive formating confuses me

i am installing on a : dell inspiron E1505 w/ an intel core duo, nvidea card, see3 ( not sure if you have to know that, but just in case)

Any help would be great.

lol, u got 33 views nd no response. ill give u one. after u install tiger nd everythin goes fine, just reboot the comp. wen ur rebooting it, in the very beginning, just keep pressin f8, thats kinda the bootloader. it'll give u a choice of which hard drive u wanna boot, u'll have to kno which OS is installed on which partition tho, it usually says it next to the hard drive. that answers ur second question i think.

yeah i figured id have to press f8.. I did figure out that i have one drive with 2 primary partitions ( C&D drive) im going to delete the D drive ( D partition) during the install and format it accordingly. I plan on using EasyBCD to add a OS X entry to my boot loader... i just have to get the BOOT files from my girlfriends Vista computer to use the tool. Does this sound Right? The way that im understanding things is that at start up after my install of OS X pressing F8 will let me select my xp os... even though it will be on the same disk ( just a different partition) Does that sound right?

Thanks for your reply Mitzuoka