Random crashes in System Preferences & Dreamweaver CS3 problem

Cenk

4 posts in this topic

Hi all,

I am successfully running 10.5.1 (iatkos v1.0i + EFI + Vanilla kernel) on my HP DX2300 Core 2 Duo PC with an Nvidia 8600GT. Very happy with it, in fact so happy that there is no dual boot ! Pure MAC. I have got a few little nagging problems and was wondering if someone here had seen similar issues. Problems in order of importance:

1) When settings various System Preferences, no particular ones, the system freezes. All you can do is to move the mouse, the pointer changes from "beachball" to pointer. Force quite or any other key combination is not responsive. Mouse moves but cannot control or click on anything. Only way out is full power down and back up. Crash logs don't seem to show anything (or I don't know where I am looking). I initially blamed it on NVinject or ALCinject, but it happens without both when I run without sound on the onboard Intel Graphics. I can't always reproduce the problem but it occurs withing a few minutes of clicking around in System Prefs. I cannot make it crash doing anything else, no matter how CPU or Memory intensive.

2) Dreamweaver CS3. Full legal copy. Installs fine. When I launch, asks for the CD key, which I put in, click next and it crashes. The application Dreamweaver has unexpectedly quit, is all I get. Again nothing obvious in the crash log but as I said, I am no expert.

3) Is a more general question really, running Vanilla and EFI is it safe to apply all updates ? Or are there certain things I should never apply ?

Thank you very much in advance.

Cenk

Any ideas anyone ? Still have these issues.

I've had the same issues. It's the nvidia driver for the 8600GT that's causing the lockup. I'm assuming you're using Nvinject with the 10.5.2 beta kexts and OpenGL framework. You can verify this is the cause by enabling the SSH service and logging into your system with SSH. Then, do a tail -f /var/log/system.log. Now play around in System Preferences, and when it locks up, you'll notice output on your SSH session, with errors coming from the video driver. You'll also notice the system is still responsive in your SSH session, you can issue commands, change directories, etc. It's just the video system that crashes.

Not much you can do about it for now, but someone reported the latest graphics drivers bundled with 10.5.2 solves the problem. So for now, stop changing your system preferences, and just use the computer until 10.5.2 gets pushed out to Software Update.