Kalyway Leopard 10.5.1 - any pci wifi cards that work?

1puttit

11 posts in this topic

A BIG thank you to Kalyway for such an awesome release!!

I'm a total mac noob. Just installed Kalyway 10.5.1 on a Asus P5W DH Deluxe and everything works except wifi. I've read all the threads and it doesn't look like anyone has that working under 10.5.1.

Are there any third party PCI wifi cards that will work without much hassle? Thanks!

I'm using a BT Voyager 1040 PCI (It's a UK thing..), based on a Broadcom BCM 4306 chipset that worked straight away, and is recognised as a "third-party Airport card." Works a treat, nice n fast.

Had a look at the Broadcom page. The USR5417 card uses the 4318 chip. The card can run at 54-108 Mbits/sec, but at the moment I am connected to an old Linksys AP running at 11 Mbits/sec ok. It could be faster speeds are still a problem with Linux drivers. It all depends on what Apple has in theirs. WEP and WPA could be an issue too....

Well, the linux drivers all seem OK for the 4306 chipset at least. Working happily in Ubuntu 7.10, and also in the BackTrack 3 Slax beta live CD with packet injection and monitor mode.

Synchronistically enough, (there's a word. Does it exist? It does now..) I was showing off my Leopard installation to a friend of mine last night, who steadfastly refused to believe that I could run leopard on what is essentially a mega-budget build PC. "It looks real, but I bet it can't run apps properly", he said. So I fired up GarageBand, VLC player and Safari just to prove the point.

Anyway, he also refused to believe that WEP could be cracked in a short space of time, so I fired up the BT3 live cd, let him set up a WEP passphrase on my router, and then cracked the passphrase that he set in about 10 minutes using aircrack-ng.

• 2 months later...