10.5.1 Kaylyway on IBM Thinkpad T60p

adidasprince

11 posts in this topic

Hi all,

First of all, thank you all for the contribution to this forum, me and Apple(i think:-)

Here is my story. Hope it can help some guys.

And sorry for my poor English also.

I used 10.4.9 from uphuck v1.4i r3 on my T60p perfectly for about half of a year.

IBM ThinkPad T60p (2007-93J) + Mac OS X 10.4.9

CPU: Core Duo T2600 2.16GHz

RAM: PC2-5300 1GB + 1GB

HDD: 100GB 7200rpm

LCD: 15in 1600x1200x32

Video: ATI Mobility Fire GL V5200 -> QE/CI, Res change, External output all working perfectly

Sound: SoundMAX Integrated Digital Audio AD1981HD Output only

Ethernet: Intel PRO/1000 LAN adapter -> native supported

Wireless: Intel PRO/Wireless 3945ABG bought Thinkpad 11/a/b/g PCI Exrpess(Atheros 5424) -> working after updating AirMac Extreme Update 2007-001

Spec details: English Japanese

I try to get leopard run on this T60p with the same specification this time.

1. Machine: see above

2. Disk: 10.5.1 Kalyway

3. Status:

Video: ATI Mobility FireGL V5200 -> QE/CI, Res change works solving external output

Sound: SoundMAX Integrated Digital Audio AD1981HD Output only

Ethernet: Intel PRO/1000 LAN adapter -> native supported

Wireless: Thinkpad 11/a/b/g PCI Exrpess(Atheros 5424) -> working after updating AirMac Extreme Update 2007-004

DVD-RW: MAT{censored}A DVD-RAM UJ-842 -> native supported

Xbench: lower than 10.4.9 ...... :-(

4. Installation detail:

1. Backup all data in the hard disk. THIS IS REALLY IMPORTANT. Because I can't boot XP after installing leopard into 10.4.9 partition failed.

2. Insert the Kalyway DVD into DVDROM, and boot it without any flags. Booting vanilla kernel makes a reboot and I think this also means i can't install vanilla kernel later.

3. Make 3 partitions of MRB. The 1st one is for leopard.

4. Forward to package selection and select "AZALIA_out" and "Bootloader EFI for MBR".

5. Take a shower :-P

6. Reboot lepoard, and register a new user and blah, blah...

7. Download AirMac Extreme Update 2007-004 from Apple's website. This update will not run on leopard. I extract the kext and copy it to /System/Library/Extensions/. Extract IONetworkFamily.kext from uphuck 10.4.9 disk and copy it to /System/Library/Extensions/. Modify the device id to match my wireless lan card and reboot. Wireless card works. (Modifing device id in original kext caused crash when i downloading some big file by browser. Update 2007-001, 002, 003 didn't work. )

8. Download PowerManagement.bundle and install it and reboot.

9. Copy ATIinject.kext and ATIRNDRV.kext which is used for 10.4.9. (Need not add device id in ATIRadeonX1000.kext.)

10. I use the kernel below which is downloaded from http://minsong79.tistory.com/10. (Original Toh kernel in Kalyway disk crashes with ACPICPUThrottler.)
    Darwin cupido.local 9.1.0 Darwin Kernel Version 9.1.0: Fri Nov 16 14:50:43 SCT 2007; made by ToH:xnu-1228.0.2~1/BUILD/obj/RELEASE_I386 i386

11. Install Xcode 3.0 and re-compile ACPICPUThrottler with source code which is downloaded from author's homepage. Installing this ACPICPUThrottler keeps my CPU's temprature around 50C (Tried a lots of ACPICPUThrottler downloaded, but just got crashes. SpeedStep.app not works as when it in my 10.4.9. Not matters very much. )

I uploaded ATIinject and ACPICPUThrottler i used. This might be useful.

And thank you all again.

ACPICPUThrottle_v1.02_sources.zip

ATIinject.zip

ACPICPUThrottler.zip

I have a T60 and used more-or-less the same process. Intel graphics worked out of the box with Kalyway 10.5.1. I imaged my XP drive, and then re-partitioned with Disk Utility into two partitions with MBR. After installing Kalyway on the second partition (with MBR boot manager), restored XP drive image to first partition.

Do you know if there are any kexts etc. that will run the built-in wifi, or do you have to get a seperate adapter? If a seperate adapter is absolutely necessary, any recommendations?

Thanks for the write-up!How do you poll T60p's thermal sensors under macosx?
Hi kelas,I'm using Temperature Monitor.
I have a T60 and used more-or-less the same process. Intel graphics worked out of the box with Kalyway 10.5.1. I imaged my XP drive, and then re-partitioned with Disk Utility into two partitions with MBR. After installing Kalyway on the second partition (with MBR boot manager), restored XP drive image to first partition.Do you know if there are any kexts etc. that will run the built-in wifi, or do you have to get a seperate adapter? If a seperate adapter is absolutely necessary, any recommendations?
Hi canadrian,My T60p came with a Intel chip wifi. Since there's no driver can be used in Tiger, I bought a Atheros 5424 and replaced Intel one. The wifi is not built-in on the motherboard, it's a minipci card in my case.

• 4 weeks later...

I am a little bit lost on step 7 Extract IONetworkFamily.kext from uphuck 10.4.9 disk and copy it to /System/Library/Extensions/. Modify the device id to match my wireless lan card and reboot. Wireless card works. (Modifing device id in original kext caused crash when i downloading some big file by browser. Update 2007-001, 002, 003 didn't work. )

Can anybody please provide the IONetworkFamily.kext from uphuck 10.4.9 disk, I cannot find this kext anywhere. When you say modify the device id how do I do this ?

I have the OS installed and seems to be working well except the built in Wifi.

Also do I need to install some kind of software for the wireless apps

Thanks for any help

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks adidasprince for the write-up.

I've got 1600x1200 working after putting your ATIinject/ATIRNDRV.kext in but QE/CI doesn't seem to be enabled.

My Graphics/Display settings are showing this

ATI Radeon X1600:

Chipset Model: ATY,RadeonX1600

Type: Display

Bus: PCIe

PCIe Lane Width: x16

VRAM (Total): 256 MB

Vendor: ATI (0x1002)

Device ID: 0x71c5

Revision ID: 0x0000

EFI Driver Version: 01.00.068

Displays:

Display:

Resolution: 1600 x 1200 @ 60 Hz

Depth: 32-bit Color

Built-In: Yes

Core Image: Software

Main Display: Yes

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

Quartz Extreme: Not Supported

Display Connector:

Any ideas where can I look futher ?

Thanks in advance for any help.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

Thanks for your writeup.

I have the 2613-esu, which has the firegl 5200, but my screen resolution is only 1400 x 1050. So installing these drivers causes my monitor to fritz, and I have to reinstall kalway to get it back. Can you tell me where to set the resolution?

Thanks,

Brian

Ok I fixed my resolution problem by editing the edid in ATIinject.kext, so I have native 1400x1050.

Using your files though, My system profiler now shows my card as 71c5 instead of 71c4. I know I have a 71c4 though. Also there is no CI/QE - any thoughts?

Brian

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

This is because in the data section it is coded as c571, which is the X1600, you can change this in the device name section, but it is only cosmetic.

You don't have CI/CE because you need to put the 0x7c41002 ID in the ATIRadeonX1000.kext info.plist.

• 1 month later...