Got my Nvidia 8600GT Working (Updated 9-18-08)

bf2loser

71 posts in this topic

in my post theres no difference, but in your kext file there should be a difference between the first one and my post. I didn't have my original kexts when I wrote this so I could only use my strings as examples

Alright i am about to post how i can get into a fully functional session in osx. Boot into safe mode and remove geforce.kext, reboot and i can log in successfully however the grapgics are a little messed up and there's no qe/ci support, so i retore the geforce.kext file to its proper location and reboot once again and am loged in with everything working perfectly, if i reboot again afterthis however i get the black screen again. so i re-perform the steps and thats how i can log in sucessfully, does anyone understand this or know how to fix it?? :lol: thanks.

Ok.....8600GT 512MB seems to be working fine... Installing WoW and will update how that works.

Graphics by NVIDIA:

Chipset Model: Graphics by NVIDIA

Type: Display

Bus: PCIe

PCIe Lane Width: x16

VRAM (Total): 512 MB

Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)

Device ID: 0x0402

Revision ID: 0x00a1

ROM Revision: NVinject 0.2.1

Displays:

DELL E196FP:

Resolution: 1280 x 1024 @ 75 Hz

Depth: 32-bit Color

Core Image: Hardware Accelerated

Main Display: Yes

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

Quartz Extreme: Supported

Rotation: Supported

Display Connector:

Anyway.. the issue seems to be with the VGA port. I reinstalled Leo4Allv3 for the 20 milllionth time but this time had the second monitor hooked up to my old dying Win2k machine. Everything went fine and the card was working right off the bat. I plugged in the second monitor (to the vga port) and went to detect displays in the system preferences and boom... the same issue I was having earlier ! the Display switched from the DVI to the VGA port and the system went screwy. Unplugged Monitor on the vga port killed the power and booted up again and once again all is working fine !

I'am a happy man.... Freed of my reliance on Windows :)

Update: WoW works fine ! up to 110 FPS :)

I have the same vid card as bifftheancient but seems cant get it to work with mine

NVidia 8600GT

Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)

Device ID: 0x0402

Revision ID: 0x00a1

Pre-drivers install my system profiler ddetected only 4x for lane width and 32mb for vram

Tried different formulas for every drivers pac (NVinstaller .41, punk92 1.9 and 2.0 and Tolaratedmeats's pack), apple graphics update...

Tried injected using 512mb with kext, even 256mb with kext, nothing works!! :D I have changed 4 video cards already and onlu my old fx5600 seems to work.

(cant boot into Leo4All v3)

when booting(during the scrolling) I saw "PCIE1 Failed" and VRAM, Model not shown, I tried changing to vga still the smae error. Its like my Video Card cant seem to connect with all these drivers pack. Pls help!!! :D :_(

It's really beyond frustrating already...

install one of the drivers, I use nvinject, and when its done and before you reboot check these kext files and make sure you can find your device id (0x00a20402, it might be 0x040200a2 but im pretty sure it would be the first one) inside all the info.plist files in each kext, you might have to add it manually. if you haven't already, try following the guide in my first post with your device id though, not mine.

install one of the drivers, I use nvinject, and when its done and before you reboot check these kext files and make sure you can find your device id (0x00a20402, it might be 0x040200a2 but im pretty sure it would be the first one) inside all the info.plist files in each kext, you might have to add it manually. if you haven't already, try following the guide in my first post with your device id though, not mine.

Nice, I will try this now, hope it works, btw, do i have to put this "de&0xfff0ffff" after 0x00a20402? so this goes like this... "0x00a20402de&0xfff0ffff" ? is this correct?

Chipinoy: When I Installed Leo4allv3 last time (when the video finally worked) I Installed with 10.5.2. Kexts and NVinject 0.2.1. for 512MB. The Only other thing I did differently is I instaled all chipsetdrivers except for nForcetest.

Once the machine booted it was working. No need to edit anything or install more drivers.

Hope this help you get you issued resolved.

I don't think you are supposed to install all the chipset drivers, they might conflict with each other. I only installed the ICH* chipset and mine works great. I believe yours would be the same chipset as mine since I have a P35-DS3L and yours is a DS4

Hi, I just ordered the parts for my hackintosh, and it sounds similar to bf2loser and BiffTheAncient. Also, like BiffTheAncient, I'm going to use Leo4all v3. I am getting a Gigabyte GA-EP35-DS3R and an EVGA 8600GT DDR2 256MB. According to the last few statements, it sounds like if I choose ICH* southbridge drivers and nvinject 0.2.1 for 256mb cards, I should be good. Is there anything I'm missing about this?

Thanks in advance. I'll give an update on Wednesday after I'm up and running.

Oh, also, BiffTheAncient, you mentioned the stuff about DVI and VGA. I didn't understand the conclusion. I have 2 monitors, both VGA. Will I be able to use them both or just one VGA?

You should be able to run the latest stock kernel, other than that it looks good. You shouldn't need any of the additional network drivers, unless youre gonna use wireless. Oh, you might need to get your sound working, idk if that board's onboard works by default so you may need to find the drivers. If they don't have the right ones on the install dvd then search these forums for the applehdapatcher 1.20 and follow its instructions

Hi thanks for helping me out...

I tried what you said and still no go, btw, what does the change in string means? from 0x040210de to 0x00a20402 & 0x040200a2? what does the "00a2" means?

some other tuts said to remove "&0xfff0ffff" in the strings, did that and still nada.

i am attaching the pic on the errors, maybe it could give you a clearer picture on what is going on...

--- Edit ---

post-217965-1209980162_thumb.jpg

Hmm I'm not sure what those errors mean. I believe those are hexadecimal strings. If you go in windows and right click my computers, then go to properties open up device manager and click properties on your video card underneath the display adapters menu. Then click the details tab at the top and in the dropdown box click hardware id's you will see the two numbers. Like mine says

PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0402&SUBSYS_C7503842&REV_A1

so my device id would be 0x040210de (take the second number and use it as the first half)

Oh, also, BiffTheAncient, you mentioned the stuff about DVI and VGA. I didn't understand the conclusion. I have 2 monitors, both VGA. Will I be able to use them both or just one VGA?

rattboi: I was trying to Install with My main monitor attached to the DVI port with a DVI->VGA adapter and My secondary monitor attached to the VGA Port. This was messing up the system at boot as I was getting blank screens and System hangs. I disconnected the Monitor on the VGA port to attach it to my old system and suddenly all worked well on my Hackintosh with CE/QI working.

Currently looking into options to fix dual monitor without buying new dual DVI Video Card.

Thanks for all the help bf2loser and thanks biff for the info...finally got it to work with QE/CI enabled...what i did...

1. Changed mobo :wacko: ...switched to Asrock Wolfdale 1333 d667 today

Have to disable hyper-threading in bios to have the installer work tho...

2. installed leo4all v3

3. waited for 8 mins after install, during the first boot

then to my surprise :) I got Mac :)

maybe it was all due to the 8 mins wait, didnt do that with my last mobo which was asrock 4coredual-vsta

Thank you!

only thing left to figure out is which kext to use for my audio...

Your audio is Realtek ALC 862 (googled it lol) you can check this forum to see if he has anything that will work for you.

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=32859

Check all his attachments and see if any of them apply to the 862 model

woohoo done and working ;) thanks mate really appreciate all your help :)

now got myself a fully functional hackintosh :rolleyes:

• 1 month later...

yeah I really don't know why it does that, but you would be better off using the leo4all v3 installer and figuring out which drivers work best for you from there. I've noticed that I get smoother graphics out of that than I did using this method.