Installing Leopard - Can't boot into Disc..

2eXtreme

15 posts in this topic

*****THREAD UPDATE: READ LAST POST*******

Hi Guys

I've just joined, and I've finished downloading toh_x86_9a581_rc2 Leopard. So now I want to install it on my PC. I already have XP and Ubuntu Studio installed, as well as Vista, but I'll be formatting the Vista partition for Leopard during its install. My question is how can I go about installing Leopard, so that after its installed, I'll be able to boot into all 3 OS's? I.e. how could I go about adding Windows XP and Ubuntu to the Leopard boot screen, or how could I go about adding Leopard to the grub menu?

Thanks for any help!

<_<

Erm, I have a pretty much multi-booted system, just boot up the install disc, format the Vista partition (only) to Mac OS Extended (Journaled), then install to that partition. Boot to Ubuntu modify /boot/grub/menu.lst, remove the Vista entry and replace it with:

title Mac OS X

rootnoverify (hd0,3)

makeactive

chainloader +1

Btw, make sure you change (hd0,3) to point to your partition, the numbers start from 0 (eg. hard disk 1 and partition 1 would be (hd0,0), hard disk 1 partition 4 would be (hd0,3) etc.)

hey, thanks very much for your reply, but how do i find out whats installed where? like how do i find out what xp's hd-,- is?

in gparted, it listed sda,sdb,sdc. xp was the first partition in sdc, so i pointed set it to (hd2,0) in menu.lst, but when i sleected it from the boot menu, it said BOOTMGR missing....

any help is very much appreciated!

so im trying to boot into my leaopard disc, using an oem drive, and i get the error:

System.config file '/com.apple.Boot.plist' not found

PLEASE can somone help me figure out whats wrong, or at least give me some more information on the error?

hey kourosh thanks for the bump mate!

with adding XP to the boot menu, i just guessed hd(0,0) (i suppose theres no harm in iterating through different drives and partitions!)

i read somewhere that using a sata dvd drive will fix my error im getting with the leopard disc, so i can try that on sunday evening! other than that ive had no other suggestions as to how to get around it, and it does seem to be quite common.

okay so im using a sata dvd drive now. ive got past the original error, but now im getting a different one. after the installer loads up files, the screen changes to black with white text. some text appears, but after a few minutes, i just get the error "Still waiting for root device". The error keeps on appearing, and the installer doesn't get anywhere after that. ive tried plugging out all drives except the sata one i want to install to, and the sata dvd drive im running the dvd off. should i take out my graphics card? is there maybe a boot option i can use to get past it? thanks for any help!

Hi,

I get this problem, too. It seems to be intermittent - and I have a much higher success rate when booting my system up cold as opposed to restarting/resetting it.

I'm using an HP dc7800 small form factor PC which uses the P35 chipset as far as I can tell - pair of SATA disks anda SATA DVD-R.

• 10 months later...