A few final questions

stony1205

4 posts in this topic

Hello everyone,

This is my first post on this forum, but I've been lurking around for quite some time.

I am about ready to abandon my hopes of having OS X on my laptop, as it seems there just isn't a way to get everything working properly.

I own an HP Pavilion dv6338se. AMD Turion x64 x2 TL-56, Nvidia GeForce Go 6150, NForce 430 chipset, Dell 1390 Wireless (by Broadcom), Ricoh 5-in-1 media card reader. If anyone needs more specific information I will supply it. But this is what I have found out in my searches and attempted installations:

1) I have tried a 10.4.10 disk (I cannot remember who it is by) as well as the JaS 10.4.8 disks (I am currently downloading the Leopard AMD disk). Neither of them will begin setup from DVD. I put the disk in and get the darwin bootloader with the "press f8 to..." screen. I press f8, put in -v and let it go. It goes by a few lines of text, and then takes me back to the "press f8" screen. An endless loop. I've found two "solutions" to this. I'm either buring it on the wrong DVD medium, or my DVD drive is not compatable at all. The device manager says its a Slimtype DVD A DS8AZH. Anyone have a solution here? It seems to be my biggest problem at the moment.

2) Until recently the NForce 430 did not have a SATA driver. It seems to me however that no install DVD's are prepatched with these drivers. I've not had the resources to be able to patch one myself as of yet. If you know of a disk that has these drivers, it would be much appreciated.

3)The NForce 430 ethernet card appears not to work, according to some forum posts I've found.

4) The Nvidia GeForce Go 6150 uses shared RAM. From what I've read on various forums, the "titan" methods don't work because they require integrated RAM, so the only one that will work is Macvidia 1.0.7, and even then it is with terrible resolution and no QE etc.

I was able to install JaS 10.4.8 in VMWare Workstation, but it was slow and useless, and I would really like a native install. I am hopefull the the newest leopard disks might solve some of these issues, but I'm not all that optimistic. If anyone has any comments or tips to share before I abandon my work here, it would be greatly appreciated. I will try to give you as much information about my hardware as possible.

~ Stony

I can select the option to install the vm directly to a physical disk, but it won't matter if I don't have any drivers to run on my native hardware. I had already thought of that option to bypass the problem I had booting the DVD.

~ Stony

Check out this thread on the NForce SATA driver I believe you need to install that driver so that OSX can see your harddrive.

Everything you need to do, including "injecting the kext into a dvd", is included within the thread.