Update after install

mtotho

3 posts in this topic

I am sure this has been asked before, infact i have seen it asked before, but it is impossible to use the search engine and search for "Software update" or various variations as anything with those words will come up. My deal is, i am wondering if i can auto update, apple update, software update, whatever you call it. I have a 100% working install of leopard on my Abit Ab9 Quadgt.. sound, ethernet, and video anyway, and full hardrive, read and write speed, Shut down and restart work, everything i can think of works. The only thing i did was place in the Kalyway 10.5.1 install disk and selected no customized options (except i made it a Mbr Partition Table). Which reminds me, i also have a dual boot with xp going. Anyway i didnt select vanilla kernel or any addition junk. Do i have to install vanilla kernel to apple update? is there any sure way to update without disrupting anything? if i have to install Vanilla, please point me in the right direction as to how. Thanks for your patience, do not make fun of me for my little knowledge, atleast i am not asking you where to download Kalyways or whatever.

You definitely should back up your system before taking any chances, but yes, if you have efi installed and the vanilla kernel, you can download the latest system updates directly from apple. That's probably the biggest advantage to the vanilla kernel. So go ahead and replace your current kernel.

ok dont tell anyone i asked you this, but what is the quickest way to get the kernel installed... and without disrupting my current install. I have The kalyway disk, iatkos disk, and others i cant keep track of. thanks