Big Doubts about Graphic Cards, FireWire Cards, and ATA/SATA...

3 posts in this topic

Hi. I don't understand how can you install a graphic card's driver if it is not working (how do you install it without having a screen?).

Or the secret is that graphic cards work badly (low res) without a good driver??

I'm thinking on getting the nVidia 7300GT, is it a good card?

Do you know if a standard FireWire PCI Card would work with Mac? (example).

Will I have problems if I use an ATA DVD Recorder with a 250GB SATA HD and another ATA HD (small, not to copy from it to the DVDs)?

Thanks,

Rodrigo

You use your l33t h4x skills and rewire your motherboard to install it for you.

Ok, kidding. There are things called GENERIC vesa drivers, that os x has to show you the output during verbose. What you do is boot into single user mode and use terminal commands to install it... Which means you need to know some basic unix. I would also suggest using the search button.

You can install the drivers using a different graphics card as well if you'd prefer. My motherboard has onboard video available, so I just used that to get the Titan kexts installed for my video and then shut down and installed the real graphics card.

As to the 7300GT - nothing really wrong with it, but I'd go a little bit faster if you wanted to game (not much gaming wise for the Mac, but Eve Online and WoW are all I play right now, and both are available now). My first build used a 7300LE (much slower than the GT) and I really, really regretted not spending a little more for a better card. The system recently got a 7600GT as a hand-me-down from my Windows box, but after I got 10.5.1 working on the Hackintosh I very well may move the 8600GTS over to the Hackintosh as I've heard those can now be made to work.

For the firewire card - that's relaly hit or miss. Some PCI cards (SATA, modems, ethernet, etc) work in macs and some don't. You'd have to check around and ask someone who's tried it if it doesn't explicitly mention mac compatibility.