Strange Problem with Quartz

BAF

2 posts in this topic

Hey guys.

I'm having a strange problem on my system I just built here. I'm running iATKOS 1.0ir2 on my Abit IP35 Pro, with the Q6600 and 4 gigs of ram. Running the MSI GeForce 8600GTS.

Everything is working beautifully, install was easy. I'm using the nvinject with the 10.5.2 kexts for 8600gts support.

The problem is that randomly it seems that Quartz will just lock up. I can still move the mouse, iTunes will keep playing music, IM programs continue to log messages, but the interface doesn't update. The only thing that updates is the mouse.

When this happens, I can still SSH in to the box from another box. I suspect that this may have something to do with the graphics driver because if I SSH in and kill apps I have running then kill quartz, my screens go blue, and quartz reloads. But what was on the screen before it locked up continues to be displayed, almost like some kind of buffer or something is screwed up.

If I reboot it works fine for while. I have yet to track it down to anything specific. It can happen if I click on a menu, it happened once before when I double clicked a hard drive on my desktop, or it can happen just while I'm typing something.

Anyone hear of this problem or have any ideas on the solution? Are there any alternative drivers I can try? Before I installed the 10.5.2 kext/nvinject package (from the thread over in the hardware forum) I didn't have any QE or CI, and even tasks like running Safari sucked, when I scrolled it would randomly not update portions of the display, etc.

If this problem does boil down to the graphics card, would I be better off returning my 8600 and getting a 7900 or something, or will 10.5.2 with (hopefully) updated drivers be coming out soon enough to not worry about it?