Support for multiple optical drives (RPC1)

4 posts in this topic

Hi forum! :)

I have successfully installed a patched version of the 10.4.1 Marklar image on my Dell Dimension 8300 Pentium 4 3 GHz HT rig. Some months ago, I have exchanged the NEC optical drives installed by Dell with a Plextor PX-130A DVD-ROM and a Plextor PX-740A DVD-RW. The burner was patched to RPC1 region free firmware under Win XP (where both drives work like a charm).

Now, when I (dual-)boot into OSx86, only the DVD-ROM is recognized and listed in Finder / System Profiler > ATA. Inserting a CD or DVD into the DVD burner won't (auto-)mount either - so the drive is completely numb under OSx86.

I wonder if this is due to the fact that "hacked" RPC1 firmware is running on the PX-740A. Is there only support for RPC2 drives in OSx86? Does it only support ONE optical drive? Do YOU have all (multiple) built-in IDE drives recognized? Would a change to OSx86 10.4.3 8F1111 help?

Well, I could restore my backup of the original firmware to check if the PX740A would then be recognized - but for (I guess) understandable reasons I don't really want to do so. To hell with region code checks... :D

I am eager to hear your opinions about this.

OK, here goes: I switched to 10.4.3 8F1111 with JaS patch applied (native install). In addition, I adjusted the jumpers on my drives to fixed positions (was "cable select" before): master for the DVD burner and slave for the DVD-ROM. The DVD burner is now recognized by OSx86 - yet the DVD-ROM is now numb...

The Plextor PX-740A DVD-RW burner now works perfectly - I have tested reading capabilities with the 10.4.3 install DVD (data), and a movie DVD (playback with VLC). Moreover, writing to a DVD+R to create an audio CD worked fine as well (with Toast Titanium 6).

Hooray! ;)