Kalyway Bootloader Options?

ulyanov77

7 posts in this topic

Hey,

It's been a while since I've worked on running osx on my hp dv6000 (intel w/ sse3). I had tiger a while back and thought that I would take a look at leopard. Before installing with kalyway I had vista, tiger, and ubuntu installed using grub as my bootloader. The installation with kalyway appeared to be a success and I believed that I had selected all of the correct drivers, but I was unsure as to the bootloader options. Since I have grub handling that I assumed that I needed neither guid or mbr. I don't think I fully understand either of these options and that they are the source of my inability to boot osx. If I were to select one of these options during installation, would any of my other partitions be affected? I boot the osx option from grub which brings me to the darwin bootloader. After attempting to boot osx from darwin, the gray screen with the apple logo appears for a few seconds before the computer restarts. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

-Adrian

I would recommend MBR if you are dual or triple booting. Later on, you can reinstall grub. (I honestly don't know what will happen if you don't select MBR or GUID)

Try using the -v switch during OSX bootup to see all the error messages that would otherwise be hidden under the Mac gray screen.

I would recommend MBR if you are dual or triple booting. Try using the -v switch during OSX bootup to see all the error messages that would otherwise be hidden under the Mac gray screen.

I tried using -v, but the computer dies before I am able to read anything. Maybe 4-5 lines appear before the restart. If I were to do MBR, how would that affect my vista and ubuntu partitions. So long as my vista partition isn't compromised that would be fine. And also, should I be using the vanilla kernel and in what combination with the bootloader option?

ey, if u use MBR, it'll set the Leopard partition as the active partition, in the readme file from kalway, it suggests using MBR only if u have a BLANK HARD DRIVE....otherwise it would cause problems of some sort, not sure wat guid would do though, prolly an alternative for MBR

You can try to use the vanilla kernel, it won't do any harm.

If you would use the MBR option, GRUB would be replaced with MacOS's bootloader and it your PC would simply boot straight to MacOS during startup. You can enter Windows XP's recovery console and use "fixboot" and "fixmbr" to get back to Windows XP, or you can use Windows Vista's recovery option to execute the repair procedure, or to type "bootrec.exe /fixboot" and "bootrec.exe /fixmbr" in the console in order to get back into Vista. You can also use your Linux distrubution's startup CD/DVD and boot your linux distro off your HDD (SuSE supported this option) and restore Grub. In order to boot MacOS X, your keyword is "Chain0". It's a small file (512b - the bootloader size) that is executed in GRUB or in Windows' bootloader just as any windows OS.

Or, if you prefer to dump the whole idea of grub and winloader, use Acronis Boot Manager.

As for the gray screen problem, try using combinations of these switches:

-v - verbose

-x - safe mode

legacy - disable 64bit mode (I think)

-f - ignore boot config

-s - single user mode

platform = acpi or platform = x86pc

cpus=1 - use only one CPU core

You can always try to capture the error by pressing the "Pause" key on your keyboard to pause the execution of OSX. Press any key to continue when paused.

Hope I helped at least a little... After you have grabbed the details of the error that's causing your headache, you can seek more precise help.

You can try to use the vanilla kernel, it won't do any harm.

If you would use the MBR option, GRUB would be replaced with MacOS's bootloader and it your PC would simply boot straight to MacOS during startup.

So if I use MBR there's no risk to the data on my windows partition?