10.4.9 - Firewire

3 posts in this topic

Hey there,

I have an almost nicely working system that I just installed 10.4.9 a few days ago. This machine had too many problems with Windows XP, it is actually performing much better under OS X.

I got everything working OK other than a PCI - FireWire card. I did some searches here and on other sources, but could not find a solution, I'm just listing down the details so maybe it can help someone, or someone can help me :)

Hardware

MoBo: Asus P5LD2-VM

CPU: Intel Pentium D 940

Onboard audio: Only the output works, did not need to patch it further as I have some pro audio equipment.

Onboard video: Intel GMA-950 now works great

PCI cards

Audio Interface: M-Audio Audiophile, has no UB drivers, not possible to get working

FireWire card: Something that says Model No: SL-PI31 and Made in China. It's got a VIA VT6306 chip.

I tried 2 Firewire peripherals with this and got the following info from System Profiler:

M-Audio FireWire Audiophile on port 1:

FireWire Bus:

Maximum Speed: Up to 400 Mb/sec

Unknown Device:

Manufacturer: 0x740000

Model: Unknown Device

GUID: 0x7400000000000000

Connection Speed: Up to 400 Mb/sec

M-Audio FireWire Audiophile on port 2:

FireWire Bus:

Unknown Device:

Manufacturer: Unknown

GUID: 0x0

An external firewire HD enclosure with Oxford Chipset and a 7200 rpm drive installed (that works great on my Mac Book Pro)

On either port:

FireWire Bus:

Unknown Device:

Both devices power up (the M-Audio just keeps blinking), but do not function.

Finally:

Mbox 2 on USB ports:

It functions correctly but somehow it is put to sleep after leaving it alone for some time. When I change the Sound Device selection and choose Mbox again, it starts to work, otherwise it appears to be working but does not output any sound at all. Maybe something is wrong with the USB connections too.

• 7 months later...

Hello

I have the same problem. the "About this Mac/ More Info" give me this:

FireWire Bus:

Unknown Device:

Model: Unknown

Maximum Speed: Up to 100 Mb/sec

Connection Speed: Unknown

Unknown Device:

Model: Unknown

Maximum Speed: Up to 100 Mb/sec

Connection Speed: Unknown

Please, Someone can tel us how to fix this problem?

thanks!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry to bump such an old thread. I have a perfectly working hackintosh (EP35-DS3L with F5 BIOS), Leopard retail installation (weaksauce12's guide). Everything works perfectly, but Firewire. I've tried two different PCI cards (both with the same onboard chip, VIA something) and at least one of them is guaranteed to work fine with OSX (I had it attached to an older hackintosh). Everytime I attach a device, I get the same "Unknown device" problem. I've tried external drives, DV players, etc. Nothing works. I even tried the solution posted here that is reported to help with the Firewire issue aswell, but didn't work. I've seen several post related to this issue, but there are no answers to this specific problem. If somebody can give some words of advice, they will be greatly appreciated.

Best regards!