Dual-booting OSX86/Vista messes up the time (RTC)

fulg

5 posts in this topic

I dual-boot OSX and Vista on the same system. My timezone is EST (GMT-5). At setup time both OSes were set to the correct timezone.

Now, suppose Vista has set the PC clock correctly. If I reboot to Leopard, the time displayed will be 5 hours too early. Naturally Leopard syncs the clock itself eventually, which means that when I reboot into Vista, the time is now 5 hours too late.

We know Windows sets the RTC to the local timezone; we can see that OSX sets the PC clock to the UTC time. For the Lose.

I searched the forums and I'm surprised no one brought this up. Isn't anyone dual-booting anymore? :D

For the moment I "solved" this by disabling the time update in Leopard and setting the timezone to GMT-0, so the displayed time is correct. But this isn't a fix, setting the Leopard timezone to UTC means that network files show the wrong time, etc. Not ideal.

Is there a smarter way to fix this? In Linux there is an option to force the RTC to be set to the local timezone (the real fix for this issue), can we do this with OSX?

Thanks!

I dual-boot OSX and Vista on the same system. My timezone is EST (GMT-5). At setup time both OSes were set to the correct timezone.

Now, suppose Vista has set the PC clock correctly. If I reboot to Leopard, the time displayed will be 5 hours too early. Naturally Leopard syncs the clock itself eventually, which means that when I reboot into Vista, the time is now 5 hours too late.

We know Windows sets the RTC to the local timezone; we can see that OSX sets the PC clock to the UTC time. For the Lose.

I searched the forums and I'm surprised no one brought this up. Isn't anyone dual-booting anymore? :(

For the moment I "solved" this by disabling the time update in Leopard and setting the timezone to GMT-0, so the displayed time is correct. But this isn't a fix, setting the Leopard timezone to UTC means that network files show the wrong time, etc. Not ideal.

Is there a smarter way to fix this? In Linux there is an option to force the RTC to be set to the local timezone (the real fix for this issue), can we do this with OSX?

Thanks!

Try this page... http://wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/index.ph...iversal_for_RTC

I searched the forums and I'm surprised no one brought this up. Isn't anyone dual-booting anymore? :(

Thanks!

I know it's hard to find stuff in the forum, but this is old news. everybody with dual boot has this and nobody talks about it anymore. I have it on my notebook and my pc. I use the same method that you use and it was posted many times before.

another solution is to use the appletime.exe from BootCamp. It's a little executable that changes time to correct one when Windows boots.

here are great instructions:

http://swmirror.org/drupal/?q=node/32

Thanks for the tip, this works wonders.

I don't own an Intel Mac (my real Mac is an old G4 FP) so I never tried BootCamp, nor was I familiar with the issue.

While searching some more, I saw some ugly hacks posted in the OSX86 Wiki but this (much better) fix wasn't mentionned.

Sorry for repeating n00b questions though, I'll do better next time! ;)