Can you install Leopard without the use of DVDs?

XX55XX

5 posts in this topic

I've researched this topic somewhat heavily, and I have not been able to find any instructions that would allow me to restore a patched Leopard .iso to a partition in Windows Vista and then make it bootable. I am asking this because I do not have a DVD burner and I do not feel like shelling out 70 dollars for an external DVD burner.

The closest instructions I found were here:

http://forum.osx86scene.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=2008

Unforunately, I don't have Tiger, and thus I can not use the Terminal to make it bootable.

My other alternative is to use a USB flash drive, but I am personally not sure if my BIOS would allow me to boot from a flash drive. I need to check that.

Another alternative I thought of was to boot the Leopard .iso with the help of virtual disk tools, like Daemon Tools and then install Leopard onto a parition I have already created in Windows. But I am not yet sure if such will work, even though it has worked with Ubuntu Linux.

Any thoughts? My copy of Leopard hasn't quite arrived yet (Bittorrent can be slow!), so I am reading as much about this subject as I can and thinking of ways I can install without the aid of a DVD burner.

I am aware that one can upgrade a computer with a DVD burner for less than 30 dollars, but since my machine is fairly old (though not too old, the Intel Celeron 340 in it supports SSE2/SSE3) I simply don't wish to bother.

I'm actually very interested in creating a bootable partition with the Leopard .iso within, but I've been unable to find good instructions. Most of the instructions that I have read ask for a DVD burner, so I am exploring my options.

I am aware that one can upgrade a computer with a DVD burner for less than 30 dollars, but since my machine is fairly old (though not too old, the Intel Celeron 340 in it supports SSE2/SSE3) I simply don't wish to bother.

I'm actually very interested in creating a bootable partition with the Leopard .iso within, but I've been unable to find good instructions. Most of the instructions that I have read ask for a DVD burner, so I am exploring my options.

look for instructions on how to do a flat image install. the only downside is that you can't do it with the iso. flat image will require another very large torrent download.