First Boot Problem

jetX

2 posts in this topic

Hi all,

My native install went through successfully but it won't get to the login window. The monitor just goes blank as if it went to suspend state or something. There is no panic reported.

I'm trying to install "Mac OS X 10.4.8 [JaS AMD-Intel-SSE2-SSE3 with PPF1 & PPF2].iso" natively as a single boot configuration on a machine with the following specs:

Intel P4 1.6Ghz

Radeon 9250 VIVO

Intel 850MV board

3Com NIC

IDE drive

I've been able to install it on VMware without problems, however the native install I never got past first boot on native install. I tried booting in with -x and used -v to check if there were any errors but it appears that there was nothing serious. The root drive gets detected and so does the graphics card. I can even run 'kextdstat' and it shows the ATI 8500 module loaded. I understand that the card should load the GUI regardless of whether the full power for the card is available or not. I can successfully boot into single user mode and play around with the command line but I can't seem to find any problems that would stop the login window from loading properly - if i "sh /etc/rc" after single user, i get the same thing - screen just goes blank and keyboard doesn't respond and system needs a cold reboot.

I know there's a ton of posts with first boot issues but none of them seem to have any valuable information that i could use, especially that i'm not getting any obvious errors during bootup (checked /var/log/system.log). I'll try to reinstall tomorrow and play around with the kernel extension options during install but just wondering if anyone has any clues to why this may be happening.

Thanks in advance.