MBR damaged - help please

pilsator

5 posts in this topic

2 days ago I tried to install XP on a USB hd. The USB drive is formatted as guid/pc_efi v8, the internal hd with MBR. After that I could no longer boot from the internal hd, just saw the blinking cursor. Then I went into some splendid terminal experiments following a guide about rewriting the MBR without success. I got error messages like "invalid command" or "no such file or directory".

Now I just can boot from the external hd. When I start the hd utility app and get info about the internal hd it shows up as "FDisk_partition_scheme".

The files on the internal hd are still there. Is it possible to make it bootable again with moderate technical knowledge? It seems to be a hard nut because I tried some primitive and radical solutions that always worked for me but failed this time. I deleted the default boot partition on the internal hd (the first hfs+ partition) and installed tiger (MBR version) on it. Usually this overwrites the MBR and makes the hd bootable again - not this time. Then I booted from an XP CD, choose the repair option and ran "fixmbr" which should write a new MBR. Still can't get behind the blinking cursor.

thanks in advance, pilsator (getting grey hair)

Maybe I made a little progress following this guide.

Actually I booted from the internal hd. But not from the flagged partition. It's completely unpredictible what happens when I boot the machine. I'll have to sort things out. Sometimes booting from dvd in single user mode won't work, sometimes I can only boot from hd by choosing to boot from dvd and the install dvd must be inserted but then the comp boots from hd...what a mess.