natit breaks shut down.

funnypanks

9 posts in this topic

I am working on this right now!

I use Grub to Quad boot (XP, Vista, OSX 10.4.9 currently and Linux (Ubuntu 7.04 currently) on one of my machines.

I just did a test Kalway install to my OSX partition and it was running fine (but of course it wiped out Grub and I could not boot any of my other operating systems) I then made a mistake in trying to restore Grub.... :-(

So now I am cloning the drive so I can try again (but I have feel optimistic it might work this time).

I will let you know if it works out.

This is what I plan to do to restore grub (with 6a option):

Note: these are not my instructions and I take no credit for them, I found the online somewhere.

How to Restore the Grub Menu:

1. Boot from a Live CD, like Ubuntu Live, Knoppix, Mepis, or similar.

2. Open a Terminal. Go SuperUser (that is, type "su"). Enter root passwords as necessary.

3. Type "grub" which makes a GRUB prompt appear.

4. Type "find /boot/grub/stage1". You'll get a response like "(hd0)" or in my case "(hd0,3)". Use whatever your computer spits out for the following lines.

5. Type "root (hd0,3)".

6a. Type "setup (hd0)". This is key if you want to write GRUB to the MBR.

If you want to write it to your linux root partition, then you want the number after the comma, such as "(hd0,3)".

OR

6b. Type "setup (hd0,3)". This is key. Other instructions say to use "(hd0)", and that's fine if you want to write GRUB to the MBR. If you want to write it to your Linux root partition, then you want the number after the comma, such as "(hd0,3)".

7. Type "quit".

8. Restart the system. Remove the bootable CD.

To be honest I don't fully understand what I am doing but I have used this method to restore Grub in the past when other issues caused it to be wiped out but I have no idea if it is compatible with EFI.... If any experts want to chime in please do. If I am trying to do the impossible please let me know :-)

Thanks

funnypanks

Ok, here is what I did (see what I have in post above.)

I used kalway

I used disk utility to erase my existing HPFS partition (that had old 10.4 OSX on it)

I selected this partition to install on.

I selected EFI boot MBR option (along with vanilla kernel options and NVinject for my video card).

I used Super Grub to restore Grub

- it is free and you can get it here http://supergrub.forjamari.linex.org/?section=download

Only side effect was that my Vista had error on start up (some boot file missing, can't remember) but it said to a Repair.

Put Vista Disk in and asked it to Repair, it worked.

All operating systems booting and working fine (well, except for sound).

I did all online updates and still working fine.

I think EFI is working... but how would I know?

Hope that helps.

I think EFI is working... but how would I know?Hope that helps.
thanks alot but last night i got tired of waiting and i installed iatkos. just did it the safest way possible. installed efi. then for some reason it kept booting so i put a like to netkas's efi 5.1 on my grub and then used that to boot into osx with full vanilla. appreciate it though. and the reason u know efi is working is because you're able to use vanilla kernel lol.

new question guys. where can i get the 10.5.1 gma950 kext or which ones do i need. for some reason iatkos has 10.5.0 gma950 drivers which have tons of tearing issues.