Basic setup questions

Desides

7 posts in this topic

As the title states, I'm new to the OSX86 deal. I've read through some of the guides here, but I'm not really sure how to proceed, so let me write out what I'm doing.

I have a Dell Inspiron 6000 laptop with the following specs:

1.6 Ghz Pentium M (SSE2)

1 GB DDR2 RAM

ATi Mobility Radeon X300 128MB (PCI-E)

SigmaTel C-Major Audio onboard sound

Intel 2915ABG wireless chipset

Broadcom 10/100 ethernet port

1680x1050 desktop resolution

I want to dual boot with Windows XP SP2 (and SP3 when that comes out) and Leopard 10.5.1. Most of the dual-booting guides I've found presume that you have a pre-existing Tiger installation. (I don't.)

Here are my questions:

1. I'm currently downloading the ToH 9A581 ISO. Is this appropriate for my machine? Should I wait for an SSE2 release of the new iATKOS version?

2. Why should I want to use EFI? Does the ToH 9A581 version include EFI? If not, how would I implement it?

3. What special patches, if any, would I need to ensure that my hardware works?

4. When setting up my OS installations, do I install XP or Leopard first?

I assure everyone I've read as much as I can before posting this, but I just don't see any clear answers. Thanks in advance to anyone who can help me out.

First things first, there is a reason most of the guides assume you have a pre-existing tiger install, because it is just easier. Find the uphuck 10.4i (its out there, just look) and its only about 2 gig. Create a seperate partition for leopard using the fat32 file system, keeping it on the end of the drive, not the front because xp has to be at the front and for mac it doesnt matter. Load the uphuck tiger 10.4i dvd installer, go to utilities/disk manager (or whatever its called) and select the partition that you made into fat32 (make sure you arent selecting your windows partition, that would be bad). hit options and select master boot record, Name the drive and set it up as mac journaled, then apply the settings and exit the disk manager. Install tiger to the drive, then boot tiger and put the TOH dvd in the drive and run the installer from within tiger (itll restart, thats fine, select to install macosx) This should get you where you need to be.

Note: when installing tiger, do not select anything to install other than the main system files.

Once you have everything working, run sortadan's post install script which will install efi

To date, the only install that has efi built in is iAtkos, which at this moment in time, is nearly impossible to get, and would not work for you anyway; also, i make no promise that the TOH dvd will work on an sse2 chip, but i know at least tiger will.

This worked for me, it could work for you.

BTW, if youd read everything, you would know that EFI basically enables you to run a vanilla OSX kernal (unhacked) which means you can upgrade and have far fewer software compatibility issues.

To date, the only install that has efi built in is iAtkos, which at this moment in time, is nearly impossible to get, and would not work for you anyway; also, i make no promise that the TOH dvd will work on an sse2 chip, but i know at least tiger will.

It's been advertised as being workable with SSE2, so here's hoping...

BTW, if youd read everything, you would know that EFI basically enables you to run a vanilla OSX kernal (unhacked) which means you can upgrade and have far fewer software compatibility issues.

Believe me, I looked. Maybe I skimmed over it, but all of the EFI-related posts just ask for troubleshooting help; I didn't see anything in the way of explanation as to what its utility is.

Time to grab a Tiger install. Thanks, Donnie.

You video card will NOT work with QE/CI in leopard *but will in tiger*

Your wireless may sorta work, though you can swap it out with a Dell card

SSE2 will cause certain apps to not Work as well, but shouldnt be too bad.

no problemalso, that last comment i made came out cranky, it wasnt meant to.good luck with the install.Just realized i forgot to tell you how to dual boot. It should be automatic. After everything is installed and the computer restarts, during the countdown in darwin, just press any key and select the partition that you want to load, otherwise it will auto load osx

Here are my questions:

1. I'm currently downloading the ToH 9A581 ISO. Is this appropriate for my machine? Should I wait for an SSE2 release of the new iATKOS version?

2. Why should I want to use EFI? Does the ToH 9A581 version include EFI? If not, how would I implement it?

3. What special patches, if any, would I need to ensure that my hardware works?

4. When setting up my OS installations, do I install XP or Leopard first?

I assure everyone I've read as much as I can before posting this, but I just don't see any clear answers. Thanks in advance to anyone who can help me out.

1. Yes ToH should work, but you've been warned about issues. Search the forum/google with your hardware for more details or hacked kext [kernel extention] files.

2. It is a simple post-install mod, wait until you get Leopard working, and do not upgrade to 10.5.0 until you learn more.

3. See #1, or ask very nicely in the post-instal forum and wait.

4. Okay, you really, really should install XP first if you are not getting tiger.

I installed a fresh XP and made three partitons, 2 12gb for the OSes and on large FAT32 drive for my shared files. You do this from the XP installer disc, before you install anything. DO NOT FORMAT the Leopard partition, except as FAT32 or leave it raw.

This guide is better then any other I have read:

http://www.digitmemo.com/articles/658/howt...ot-setup-guide/

You video card will NOT work with QE/CI in leopard *but will in tiger*

So I shouldn't even bother with Leopard?

more or less, it's apparently recommended to install Tiger first, so I'm probably going to do that. Right now I'm planning on doing XP first on a 40GB partition, then installing Tiger on the other 40GB (I have an 80GB drive), then upgrading Tiger to Leopard as told above.