What happened to WD and SG

thegodfaza

3 posts in this topic

What has happened to Seagate and Western Digital. Their Hard Drives fail so often now. And WD is putting the DRM software on the drive. The only good company I have found now is Samsung. What happened to the quality of the Hard Drives?

• 1 month later...

Seagate has always made pretty good hard drives from my experience. I have yet to see one fail on me. I have been using an old 20GB EIDE hard drive for more than a decade and it still runs fine. Well, I suppose that's back then in ye olden days of Win95, but even now, I have a not-too-old 200GB EIDE hard drive that runs smoothly. Same with Hitachi, they make quality drives and were also the first to make a terabyte drive, which performed very well. Everyone else slowly followed suit. As for Samsung, I have a very limited but good experience with their hard drives. Specifically the 500GB SATA HDD model number HD501LJ. Now that, is an awesome drive, and my first SATA 3.0Gb/s drive too. It is fast and quiet. If Samsung has more offerings like this one, I'd say they're a top-notch hard drive manufacturer. Western Digital on the other hand, was never my top pick for hard drives. One of their older 30GB models died on me, which is to be expected yet I have much older drives that still work perfectly with no bad sectors. Their 10k RPM SATA 1.5Gb/s Raptor HDDs are appealing, but other than that, I don't really pay attention to WDs offerings.