Need help installing leopard on dell xps m170 notebook

dani190

8 posts in this topic

Hello. This will be my first leopard x86 install and i need lots of help.

I want to install the most stable version of either leopard or tiger on my laptop.

The specs are as follows:

CPU: Intel Pentium M 760, 2Ghz

Chipset: Mobile Intel Alviso i915PM

Graphics: Nvidea GeForce Go 7800 GTX (256 MB)

Audio: SigmaTel STAC9750/51 @ Intel 82801FBM ICH6-M - AC'97 Audio Controller [b-1]

Audio External: Creative labs Live! External USB

Hard Drive: ST9100823A (100 GB, 5400 RPM, Ultra-ATA/100)

CD/DVD: SONY DW-Q58A

Ethernet: Broadcom NetXtreme Gigabit Ethernet

Wireless: Intel® PRO/Wireless 2915ABG

Now as i said above i would like to install leopard or tiger, which ever one will allow me to be the most stable. I want to end up using this as the primary operating system.

Could you tell me what the most stable setup/package will be and what drivers i need/ where i can get them. Also could you tell me if its smart to have this as my primary computer?

Basically i need to know everything as i am doing this for my first time.

Thanks, Dani

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Well I happen to have the same notebook and i'm running 10.4.6 and I simply cant get the video drivers to work to save my life. I have tried both Natit and titan and havent had luck with either. Im not really fimiliar with OSX so I've just been limping along tring to soak up as much info as I can. If you can get the video to work it seems like a pretty stable system.

Have you attempted an install yet? Installation is pretty straight forward, just partition part of your drive (at least 10 gig), format it FAT32, boot with OSX and reformat with HFS+(journald)and install OSX. Thats assuming you have a cracked (x86) version. I dont have a version of leopard so i cant say if that would solve the video problem, probley not. I just installed OSX less than a week ago so im a long way from giving up so when i find more info i'll write back.

• 5 months later...

I've got the same Dell XPS M170 system; the only difference is my GFX card is an nVidia 6800 GO Ultra. Other than that our systems are pretty much identical.

I installed iAtkos v2.0i BS this is leapord 10.5.2 however in order to get my wifi card working I had to install Kalyway 10.5.3 combo update then install the iwi2200 kext, this made my wifi card recognized as an airport card.

Other than that the system is super stable for the exception of my graphics card, it won't let me change resolution beyond 1072x768.

If I manage to figure that part out, I'll let you know.

• 1 month later...