Previous Installation Worked, Now Splash Screen Doesn't Go Away

lane.montgomery

7 posts in this topic

Ok, I successfully installed from: Mac OS X 10.4.8 [JaS AMD-Intel-SSE2-SSE3 with PPF1 & PPF2].iso

Everything worked great, except the video card and ethernet, which I got the ethernet working and was going to begin working on the video card when I was handily notified that there was an update to iTunes. So I said to download the update, and without thinking took the update from 10.4.8 to 10.4.11. If it hasn't already been made clear to you, DO NOT TAKE UPDATES FROM APPLE. Ahem.

Anyway.

So now I've got to reinstall the whole thing. So I deleted the partition (which was "case sensitive" but not journaled) and did the new installation on a cases sensitive and journaled file system. My next step is to try installation on just the case sensitive file system to see if that somehow fixes the problem, I'll keep you updated.

Back to the problem: As of right now, the installation worked perfectly, it's just when the system boots up, the splash screen with the apple and the "working" indicator don't go away. The indicator just eventually freezes.

On the initial startup, I was greeted with the turn the screen reader on or off prompt. Nothing was going on, so I was curious and did the alt-F5 (working on a windows keyboard). Using the screen reader, I was able to navigate the setup, even though I couldn't see anything but the splash screen.

Now when I startup, the splash screen is still there, and it tells me "Finder" and "Mac OS 10" and I can move the mouse to the top left corner (can't see it on screen) and click and it'll say "apple" and I can arrow down through the menus and it'll read them to me.

As far as I can tell, everything is working how it's supposed to be, but I can't get rid of this splash screen. The first time I did the installation it didn't do this, so as I said, I'm going to try again without a journaled file system, even though it doesn't make sense to me that the file system would have an effect on this, but you never know, stranger things have happened to me with windows.

So if anybody out there can help, it would be much appreciated.

Brand: emachine

Graphics: intel 82845G/GL/GE/PE/GV

Network: Intel Pro/100 VE

HDD: Maxtor 6L250R0

DVD: Memorex 16X-DDL-IN

Ram: 512MB

Proc: Intel Celeron 2.66GHz

I'm going to try the re-install with the different file system settings and come back and post what happened.

Wish me luck!

Now I'm using PartitionMagic to zero out the drive and try the installation again.

Perhaps there is something apple put on the drive in the 10.8.11 update that is still there somehow and preventing the fresh install from working properly.

If anybody has any other suggestions, I'm checking back here regularly.

Zeroing out the partition didn't help.

I tried installing with X11 and without X11 (my original working installation didn't have X11 installed).

NO LUCK.

Has anybody heard of any of this before? I can't find it anywhere else on the forum.

I am just at a complete loss as to why it would have worked the first time I installed it, and now this.

Zeroing out the partition didn't help.

I tried installing with X11 and without X11 (my original working installation didn't have X11 installed).

NO LUCK.

Has anybody heard of any of this before? I can't find it anywhere else on the forum.

I am just at a complete loss as to why it would have worked the first time I installed it, and now this.

Any resolution to this issue? I am having the same EXACT problem. All was working and "dummy me" upgraded the OS from Apple and now it will NOT install on ANY computer , it always stops at the splash screen that says starting MAC OS X

Posting this now from Firefox on OSX!

The problem was that I just selected the whole category "other hardware" or whatever it is called on the install screen.

To fix the problem, I just expanded out the menu and selected the specific things I thought I needed. If you just select the whole category, it must cause some sort of conflict.

In any case, problem solved, and I hope my experience helps somebody else out.