Help my OS X dilemma

andsteele

4 posts in this topic

Okay, I downloaded the JAS OS X x86 10.4.8 and I am having problems installing it. My computer will boot from the disk and it seems to install, but it never boots once I have restarted.

System Specs:

AMD Athlon X2 3800+ AM2 2GHz

3GB DDR2 ram

300gb Western Digital Caviar (IDE)

500gb Seagate (SATA)

Asrock AM2NF3-VSTA mobo

Nvida 5500FX AGP 256MB

I was thinking of buying a new mobo and graphics card as they are lagging behind now. So I am hoping the problem lies with one of them.

Okay, I downloaded the JAS OS X x86 10.4.8 and I am having problems installing it. My computer will boot from the disk and it seems to install, but it never boots once I have restarted.
More info please. What d'you mean with 'never boots'. (light) Blue screen, ...? Also, are you running a dual/multi boot system? If so, what other OSes?

Is your bios set to boot from the drive on which you installed OSX?

No other OS installed at the time. When I booted off the WD IDE drive, I got an error that kept saying I had to restart. (Forgot what it was, sorry). And when I booted off my SATA drive, I got a black screen with the OS X cursor...but only it was 90 degress anti-clockwise. I kept it on for a while to see if it would do anything but it didn't.

No other OS installed at the time. When I booted off the WD IDE drive, I got an error that kept saying I had to restart. (Forgot what it was, sorry). And when I booted off my SATA drive, I got a black screen with the OS X cursor...but only it was 90 degress anti-clockwise. I kept it on for a while to see if it would do anything but it didn't.
Very strange...

For either drives, try booting in safe mode. I don't remember exactly which switch it is, but i think it's -f. When booting up tap the F8 key, when you get the darwin menu, type -f and hit enter. What sort of error does this give? 

There are other switches, but i can't remember them by heart at the moment, a quick search will tell you what ot

er switches do. -v will be 'verbose mode' [with lots of output], and -s 'single-user mode'. You can combine them, for instance -v -f would give you verbose safe mode [if -f is indeed safe mode :)].

All the best,

3phemeral

Edit: Safe mode uses the -x switch, i believe.