Dual Boot Problem

EricJD

3 posts in this topic

Well, I finally got OSx86 up and running perfectly other than the fact that I can't change from 1024x768. (anyone know how to get it to let me change this? I would like 1280x1024)

But now when I use fdisk to change my active partition back to Windows XP so I can set up a dual boot, I get an "Error loading operating system" message. Anyone know what's wrong with this?

I ended up re-installing Windows and installing the Acronis OS Selector.

I'm afraid to boot back into OSx86, however, because something may mess up THIS XP installation as well.

Does anyone know what went wrong in the first place?

Hmmm, the only thing I can say to your boot problem is, that I've copied chain0 to my Windows-Drive, maked an entry in boot.ini

C:\chain0="Mac OS X4 x86"

And installed OS X then (was 10.4.1, because .3 install doesn't work. but the boot process is the same). So I didn't had to change the active partition.

For your problem with your resolution:

I got the same problem. I couldn't select a higher resolution in SystemPreferences.

But what worked was to specify the resolution by Hand in boot-config-file.

Open your Boot-Config-File "com.Apple.Boot.plist" in "/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration" and add the following:

<key>Graphics Mode</key>
<string>1280x1024x32</string>

So you can specify the resolution with "WidthxHeightxColor" (for Vesa 2.0) or "WidthxHeightxColor@RefreshRate" (for Vesa 3.0).

Greetings,

G-Man