Dell Inspiron 1520 Running Leopard 10.5.0

BinaryGrind

2 posts in this topic

Thanks to the wonderful ToH I've been able to get Mac OS X 10.5.0 Leopard installed on my Dell Inspiron 1520 (Wintermute). Everything looks good minus a few issues that I'm experiancing.

First my system specs for the HCL.

Dell Inspirion 1520

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo T7250 @ 2Ghz -- Only sees one core and incorrectly marks it as a Core 2 Solo

RAM: 2GB @ 667Mhz -- Works Fine

HD: 160GB (152GB Actual) -- 120GB Vista, 20GB OS X, 12GB Ubuntu

Graphics: Nvidia Geforce 8600M GS w/ 256MB VRAM -- CI works but not QE, needed boot.plist graphics mode to be set

Audio: Sigmatel 9205 -- Not seen in OS X, No sound at all

Wireless: Dell Wireless-N 1505 (Broadcom 43xx) -- Seen as Airport: Third Party Wireless Card

Ethernet: Broadcom BCM 57xx -- Not seen in OS X at all.

Display: 1680x1050x32Bit 15" Truelife LCD -- needed Boot.plist set

All in all way better then the Inspiron e1505 that I upgraded from.

Only having a few issues, 1 major and the rest minor.

800lbs Gorilla: The biggest is that I cannot tell if any power management is going on, Leopard seems to think that my system is a desktop and does not detect my battery or do any speedstepping. Not sure how to tell if this is actually what going on and how to fix it, all I know is the the Uphuck 10.4.9 install that Leopard replaced saw the power management systems and correctly identified the battery and used speedstep.

Booting: The second biggest is a booting issue. At present in order for me to boot Mac OS X I have to have the OS X partition set as active and the Install CD in the drive. I can't boot anything else unless I boot up the Vista disc and set the vista partition as active. Rather inconvenient. I would be fine with the darwin bootloader or some bootloader (GRUB maybe?) if I could just get OS X to boot. I did attempt to use the /usr/misc/script.sh on the OS X install DVD but all that resulted in was a blinking cursor on boot up.

Sound: The most prominent problem is the no sound issue, I'm certain it can be fixed using the AppleHDA Patcher but not sure the exact steps needed to get that to work.

Graphics: Is there a driver or patch for the Nvidia Geforce 8600M to enable QE? I would love to play Quicktime movies and a few games.

Processor: I'm a little confused on the dual core, OS X 10.4.9 detected it as a dual core and used it as such, so I'm not sure whats going on, possibly related to the missing power management?

Also is there a guide for getting the 10.5.1 update installed?

any help with these issues would be greatly appreciated!

Upgrade to 10.5.1. Install EFI patch and restore toh kernel :)

800lbs Gorilla: The biggest is that I cannot tell if any power management is going on, Leopard seems to think that my system is a desktop and does not detect my battery or do any speedstepping. Not sure how to tell if this is actually what going on and how to fix it, all I know is the the Uphuck 10.4.9 install that Leopard replaced saw the power management systems and correctly identified the battery and used speedstep.

I have a similar problem on mine. So did you replace the kext from Uphuck and put it on leopard? did it work?