Boot hangs on XPS M140 / 630m

elypsar

2 posts in this topic

I've just installed Uphuck 10.4.9 v1.4i R3 to an external hard drive. The install CD booted the first time and the installation went swimmingly. Once the install was complete the computer rebooted and went straight into the OS.

I rebooted to windows to make sure everything there was still ok then rebooted again back to OSX. Even in verbose mode the boot gets to a blue screen, HD activity halts, and the system hangs. I rebooted a few dozen more times and could only get it to completely load 3 times. I tried to boot back to the CD to reinstall and the CD is having the same problem. What gets me is I can't pin down why it works sometimes and not others.

Is there a more verbose mode I can try? Or maybe someone knows where I can find an error log. I'm fairly new to the scene but I've combed the forum as much as I had patients for, to no avail.

Here is some system info (taken from this thread): http://forum.insanelymac.com/lofiversion/i....php/t7564.html

General Hardware Specifications:

Hardware Component Status under Linux Notes

Intel® Pentium® M Processor 735A (1.70GHz, 2MB L2 Cache) Works cpufrequtils was used to dynamically adjust the processor speed as per the Gentoo Power Management Guide

14.1" WXGA (1280x800) TrueLife TFT Works No special procedure required during installation.

Intel i915PM with GMA900 graphics Works Took a bit of fighting but now works fine complete with Direct Rendering (DRI) which means nice accelerated video and 3D support :-). See the Xorg section

2 x 256MB SODIMM DDR2 in dual channel mode Works No special procedure required during installation.

Seagate Momentus 80GB 5400RPM Works Swapped out Dell OEM drive as I had a bigger drive knocking around

Broadcom 10/100 ethernet Works Had a couple of odd timeouts with the 2005.1 LiveCD, but other than that it's been fine

DVD +/- R/RW drive Works Standard IDE DVD +/- R/RW, however the ATA driver needs some furtling. See the SATA section for details. Thanks to Pete Tillotson for this one...

Intel Pro Wireless 2200 802.11 b/g MiniPCI card with integrated dual-band (2.4/5.7GHz) antenna Works See the IPW2200 section

80 WattHour 9-cell "smart" Li-Ion battery Works No special procedure required during installation.

FireWire Works No special procedure required during installation.

Synaptics touchpad Works No special procedure required during installation, however it is extremely sensitive. Need to tame this a little! UPDATE: have installed the proper Synaptics Touchpad driver for XOrg. See the Synaptics Touchpad section.

Sigmatel STAC9750 AC'97 audio controller / Intel ICH6 HD Audio Works - kinda Presently headphones do not switch off speakers when plugged in under Linux. See the audio section

ExpressCard slot Untested As it's just an express PCI lane and a USB connector on one socket it should be reasonably hassle-free. Don't have any ExpressCards with which to test it yet, though!

5-in-1 card reader Does not work Ricoh memory card controller is, at present, unsupported by Linux, which is a shame...

Conexant HDA D110 MDC V.92 Modem Does not work Can find no info on getting this thing running yet. It appears to hang off the Intel HD audio subsystem and, as that isn't 100% behaving, I can't blame this thing for not working until I've sorted that!

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help.