Pro apps for Intel

Mactelman

5 posts in this topic

I have a question here. If I install my versions of the PPC Pro apps using the no hardware check on my new iMac and MacBook Pro, do you think when the universal binaries come out, they will be downloadable via software update. Because jobbs said that PPC users will get the universal ones donwloaded via update when they come out, so I'm kinda at a loss.

You will probably have the oportunity to download and apply the update, but it will overwrite the hacked ppc binaries. The hardware check may then be "re-enabled" and apps can refuse to launch until a new hack appear. (Or OS check may fail, it could require 10.4.4 to run universal binaries of pro apps on intel hardware ??? maybe not ???).

This is only speculation of course.

EDIT : did not saw you were talking about intel iMac/MacBook... no problem with OS version. BTW there are good chances that new intel Macs succeed the Pro Apps hardware check : why Jobs would release unibin version if none of the new hardware can run them... He will be sooo happy to show that universal Final Cut/Aperture run smoothly on a MacBook ;)

You will probably have the oportunity to download and apply the update, but it will overwrite the hacked ppc binaries. The hardware check may then be "re-enabled" and apps can refuse to launch until a new hack appear. Or OS check may fail, it could require 10.4.4 to run universal binaries of pro apps on intel hardware ??? maybe not ???

This is only speculation of course.

Well I'll have 10.4.4 as they are real intel mac's im getting. But you may be right, the download may occur, and then it checks, and sees it's intel, and is designed like that. So that you still have to "Crossgrade" Apple want's their money. :police:

Opps I edited my message about 10.4.4 but too late. I quote myself :

EDIT : did not saw you were talking about intel iMac/MacBook... no problem with OS version. BTW there are good chances that new intel Macs succeed the Pro Apps hardware check : why Jobs would release unibin version if none of the new hardware can run them... He will be sooo happy to show that universal Final Cut/Aperture run smoothly on a MacBook

Opps I edited my message about 10.4.4 but too late. I quote myself :

Well see here's the thing. They still fail the hardware check as PPC (what I have), according to jobs (my machines haven't come in yet). But I'm hoping when they come out via software update, they will be available. As jobbs said, PPC users will still get the unibin with software update when it's out. They want me to "transgrade", and pay $49 an app. Hell no!