Problem with Mac Osx formatting

t0nito

4 posts in this topic

Hi, here's what happened, I tried to install osx86 so I did a 10 Gb primary partion in partition magic with partiotion magic, I've done it in FAT32 in order to convert to MAC OS X journalled in the disk utilities of the mac os disc. Partition magic gave me the 1024 cylinder thing which I ignored. So when I tried to convert this partition in the mac disk utilities it refused to convert, no error showed up but the partition properties said "unmounted MS-DOS FAT 32" after attempting to convert it showed "WIN32 FAT 32" or something like that...

So I went back to partition magic and converted to logical partition and then it converted fine, I installed the OSX fine, but then it would only boot to mac, I had lost windows boot, so instead of pressing F8 in the darwin boot which I know now, I became desperate and reinstalled windows and deleted the mac partition.

So I tried again but now I installed acronis os selector and installed mac os again in the logical partion. But when I choose MAC OS with the acronis OS selector I get that dreaded HFS+ partion error.

From what I read MAC OS need to be installed on a primary partition, but when I do that the MAC OS disk utilities refused to convert it, it will only do so when it's logical. So right now what I have is win XP, I deleted acronis Os selector and I have an 10GB Unformatted primary partition waiting for mac os x which it refuses to convert, probably because od the 1024 cylinder limit I get in partiotion magic.

What shall I do to get this thing working? Please help, here's a pic of what I got on partition magic:

post-161103-1197202726_thumb.jpg

Use DiskUtility from the OSX86 install DVD. You can partition the disk there and format partitions. You can then use the Darwin bootloader to choose between your installed OSes.

Thank you, I thought of that but it warned me that I'd loose data on ALL my hardrive, so I gave up that option as I have another partion with some important stuff (the last one on the table) :( Could the acronis os selector be the culprit of the hfs+ partition error? If I install now osx86 with out it on a logical partition would it boot again? Is it mandatory that I install it in a primary partition?

So I was able to install the os and it booted and all but it was suuuuuper slow! It took 1 and a half hour to install the os and when it finally installed it ran very very slow, like clicking for a new window took 30 sec to a minute.

When installing, the dvd drive kept making loud noises like it was randomly seeking the dvd I've done another copy with another brand of dvd to see if it wasn't reading right, but it did the same, maybe my laptop doesn't like this all that much, it's a pentium m 1,73Ghz with 1Gb ram, I think it should have handled it much faster, please give your opinion about what's happening, I'd really appreciate it.