Dell E520 and ICH8R - alternative way to fix it

MacHreina

5 posts in this topic

First of all..I´m a noob and after weeks of real frustration, here is my (quite simple I must say) way to have Raid0 working on your E520 without having to change your BIOS.

Well, not quite true; to be able to install leo we must change it to Autodetect/ATA but we will change it back again at the end of this tutorial.

What I used for this installation:

Tiger: macdotnub

Leo: ToH RC2

The ich8r.zip file included here

1. Install Tiger and when the installation completes, go thorugh the information setup (timezone etc.)

2. If you have a internet connection, download and extract the zip file and put it on your desktop. Extract it to as folder (i.e ich8r)

3. Reboot and enter BIOS. Change from RAID to Autodetect/ATA. Trust me...we will fix this later on.

4. OK, install Leo (as you may have done 1 zillion times...like me)

4. When Leo finishes, start Leo to complete the installation. OK, none of your "windows" drives are appearing

5. Do a restart and hit F8 at Darwin. type "-s" (without the quotes)

make the filesystem writeable. (The two command are displayed)

then type the following commands:

cd ..

cd ..

cd Volumes/my_mac_drive/users/my_name/desktop/ich8r

(yeah, yeah, yeah...my_mac_drive = partition..my_name = username)

7. Type in the follwing commands followed by enter ..remember the "star" at the end of the lines

cp -R Extensions/AppleAHCIPort.kext System/Library/Extensions/

cp -R Extensions/IOAHCIFamily.kext System/Library/Extensions/

sudo chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/AppleAHCIPort.kext*

sudo chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/AppleAHCIPort.kext*

sudo chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/IOAHCIFamily.kext*

sudo chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/IOAHCIFamily.kext*

sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions

sudo rm -R /System/Library/Extensions.mkext (NOTE! you might get "not found" on this...just ignore)

sudo rm -R /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kernelcaches

exit

8. Ok, start Leo for the last time and go to diskutilites -> repair disk permissions.

9. Restart and go into BIOS and set back to RAID ON.

10. Start Leo and your drives should now have appeared on your desktop.

ich8r.zip

By drives, you mean harddrives? I installed the MacdotNub Osx86 and my Windows haddrive was detected...Only thing that wasn't detected was my Network and Sound cards...:(

...On my E520

By drives, you mean harddrives? I installed the MacdotNub Osx86 and my Windows haddrive was detected...Only thing that wasn't detected was my Network and Sound cards... :censored2:

...On my E520

yep, hardddrives. I went out and bought a new nic and an usb soundcard, and recently bought a new ATI card on ebay since my card has device id 7183 and this is only compatible in Vesa mode it seems. Anyway; the Sigmatel card is sh*t..my new usb card worked right out of the box and a sound way better than my Sig card.. my new nic is Netgear GA311...also worked right out of the box....

SMCentral, he's talking about a RAID-0 array. Doesn't apply to your situation.

MacHreina, these modified kext files are actually letting you utilize the RAID array? I'm attempting to get OSX installed on a Dell system (not a 520) that utilizes ICH8R RAID, but I'm not certain if the PCI IDs are the same as the 520, and because I'm attempting to actually install to the RAID array, replacing the exts will prove a little problematic. Where did you find the information on getting RAID functional to begin with?

Thanks.

SMCentral, he's talking about a RAID-0 array. Doesn't apply to your situation.

MacHreina, these modified kext files are actually letting you utilize the RAID array? I'm attempting to get OSX installed on a Dell system (not a 520) that utilizes ICH8R RAID, but I'm not certain if the PCI IDs are the same as the 520, and because I'm attempting to actually install to the RAID array, replacing the exts will prove a little problematic. Where did you find the information on getting RAID functional to begin with?

Thanks.

Well, as mentioned earleier I´m a complete noob (in the Mac world that is..to my defence!). I know that many people have had problem with RAID settings on a E520 and installing Leo. I tried wmarsh way of manually adding the ICH8R info but no luck.