No support network cards - can I use VMFusion?

5 posts in this topic

I have a DS3 mobo, with a crapp Belkin wireless card thing.

Neither network cards are really supported (Supposedly I may be able to get the onboard ethernet working, but thats no use anyway - i only have wireless access.

So I could go out and buy a supported card, but I just wondered if I can run XP in VMWare Fusion, and then set the default gateway to the vm machine?

i know it works the other way round fine, but can I use a VM as my gateway?

If not, is there any other funky solutions I can use before I go and buy a new wireless card.

... So I could go out and buy a supported card, but I just wondered if I can run XP in VMWare Fusion, and then set the default gateway to the vm machine?
As far as i'm aware [and this makes sense too], VMWare/Parallels are only able to access your hardware through your host OS - not directly [+ i think there's a layer of emulation involved as well]. Hence, this would not be possible. It'd be nice if it worked; this would also mean one could - for instance - merrily install the latest drivers for a DX10 capable card on Vista and play DX10 games on a virtual machine. As far as i'm aware: not possible.

I don't know of any other solutions. Maybe someone else can provide further insight. Have you searched the forums for your EXACT wireless receiver?

I have a DS3 mobo
I'm assuming you have a Gigabyte mobo. 'DS3' doesn't say quite enough: there's the GA-P965-DS3 and the GA-P35-DS3, possibly even more 'DS3's' around, and there's definitely a difference between them. Even though it's not directly relevant to your post, please try to be specific when saying what hardware you have. If you have the GA-P35-DS3, i think that has a realtec NIC, so you could try finding the RTL1xxx_1.02.pkg or newer package on sourceforge... Tho you say you can't put any use to that...

Hiya - sorry for the lack of info.

th ethernet port I guess would help me to play around with osx - since I could use my laptop as a gateway.

its the P965-DS3, with a Marvell NIC. Some people say it just wont work, others say it will. I have a guide specifically for this mobo, so I'll try that.

The belkin wireless is a PCMCIA-PCI adaptor, with a PCMCIA wireless card in it, so I'd need 2 drivers, neither of which are available :(

Hiya - sorry for the lack of info.

th ethernet port I guess would help me to play around with osx - since I could use my laptop as a gateway.

its the P965-DS3, with a Marvell NIC. Some people say it just wont work, others say it will. I have a guide specifically for this mobo, so I'll try that.

The belkin wireless is a PCMCIA-PCI adaptor, with a PCMCIA wireless card in it, so I'd need 2 drivers, neither of which are available :(

I didn't find the P965-DS3 guide you referred to, but it's definitely worth a shot. I found a set of instructions here as well...

As for your wireless, sounds to me like you won't really get that going... I have no clue which PCMCIA/USB-dongle wireless receivers work with OSX [i'm an ethernet man ;)], but i'm sure with a bit of searching you'll be able to find a reasonable solution...

All the best,

3phemeral

• 7 months later...