my leopard install on my TC4400

robust

26 posts in this topic

Almost verything I need right now is working on my NC4400. Installation was very straighforward and simple. I don't expect it to be perfect, I don't have time to polish everything.

Working

• Core Image, Quartz Extreme (CI, QE) acceleration
  • External display through VGA. FullHD with CI, QE. I believe it'll go up to 2048x1536, as it's GMA950's limit.
  • Fn+F9,F10 to set display brightness
  • Internal mono speaker. Probably internal microphone and fingerprint reader, not tested.
  • Volume control buttons (they were broken by design in Windows, now they are working logically)
  • Trackpad with gestures, smooth two-finger scroll, tap to click, two-finger tap to right click.
  • USB, external keyboard and mouse, iPhone, USB HDD.
  • Ethernet (not tested. kext provided somewhere in this thread)

Not working

• No battery meter, limited power management. When battery drains out, it simply shuts down.
  • No sleep. Sometimes you can wake it with keyboard, sometimes you can't... Better keep it awake.
  • Closing lid initiates sleep state, which is not working.
  • Battery life is worse than in 10.5.2, Windows 7, Ubuntu Meerkat.
  • Limited mobility. Did i mentioned no battery meter whatsoever? :) jonshu3000 can tell us more about this.
  • I noticed some graphic artifacts. Really not so often, not even with external screen. Some graphic and OpenGL applications will not work (probably AutoCAD, Blender, Modo, games, ...)
  • you have to have double click speed at last maximum (or one strike to the left) if you want to use both mouse and trackpad (VoodooPS2 bug)
  • Only single CPU core. It's still unbelievably chipper for it's age.

I'll summarize how I installed Leopard. I'm using simplest point and click procedure as it's the Mac way. :) No terminal and single user mode whatsoever. No unlicenced or "unscrupulous" software.

What is needed:

• some Windows installed.
  • some Mac or virtual machine with Mac to create USB installation medium.
  • at least 4GB USB flash drive.
  • Kalyway 10.5.2 from Google (biggest torrent search engine)
  • iDeneb combo 10.5.8 update, upgrade from Google
  • Chameleon 2.0 RC5 installer (for USB install)
  • kexthelper b7 and this kexts.
  • some empty space on the harddrive
  • MacDrive 14-days evalution version (for replacing kexts on HFS+ Mac partition from Windows)
  • 30 minutes of active time, 2 hours total.

Here we go

1. disable dual code in BIOS
  2. Have an empty partition or create one with Paragon Partiotion free home edition. You'll shrink Windows system partition if necessary.
  3. In Mac, go to Utilities/disk utility and Convert Kalyway ISO to DMG. Default settings
  4. In Disk Utility: Scan DMG image. (Image/Scan image for Restore.)
  5. Erased USB flash drive and create one MBR partition.
  6. In Disk Utility: Select your flash drive's root. Click Restore tab, drag and drop source image (checked DMG) and destination (partition on flash).
  7. Close disk utility and install Chameleon Installer onto that drive.

More to come... i accidentally deleted rest of this without autosave. Editing capability of this forum sucks big time.