865PE chipset and HPET

adeadman

4 posts in this topic

I was reading the specs for the 865PE chipset (ICH5) and it seems that HPET is optional :P

Is anyone aware if it is usable on an 865?

I know that the option to use it is not available to me in bios, but I have read somewhere that if it is available it will get used

my mobo is a Gigabyte GA-81PE1000 pro 2, and since I have maxed out the board (3.4Ghz prescott, 4Gb ram 7600GT gfx and using all sata/ide ports) it would be such a shame to be unable to get leopard and efi running

current system: JAS release 10.4.8 updated to 10.4.10

• 2 months later...

finally answered my own question, installed kalyway 10.5.1, and yes it says that HPET is enabled on my system, in addition to that, efi install on guid and the whole thing can boot!. lovely thought I. But (there is always a but) still haven't got into the system yet, for some reason, the boot process keep locking up, but never in the same place. However, it always gets past the loginwindow started message - so it gets a long way into the boot. any ideas?

mobo: gigabyte ga-81pe1000 pro2

didn't need to turn off hyperthreading, but i did need to install the vanilla kernel + ps2 patch. leopard installed and configured straight up, (boot with tohkernel at prompt, vanilla kernel just keeps rebooting) everything worked straight up, no patches required. however, went back and reinstalled trying either natit or nvinject, nada, boot problems again. tried manual install of either package - produces same problem. looks like I need to work on these, otherwise great install